Dean of Liberal Arts, Business, and Technical Programs
- Northland Community & Technical Colleges
- Location: Thief River Falls, Minnesota
- Category: Executive-Dean-Liberal Arts
- Posting Date: 08/13/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
As a college academic and campus leader, the administrator in this position is accountable for ensuring quality and integrity of all academic functions on campus and with regional partners. Additionally, this position promotes academic achievement and learner satisfaction consistent with established educational objectives, quality standards and fiscal responsibility. This position leads, directs, and supervises collegewide the liberal arts & sciences and business, and assigned technical programs at the Thief River Falls Campus of Northland Community and Technical College (Northland). This position further supervises and implements grant activities and special projects related to program areas.
- Direct instructional management functions and applicable operational aspects of assigned college areas and programs. Areas of responsibility include promoting, enhancing, and maintaining all functions and assignments, implementing policies and procedures that fulfill the philosophy and goals of the college.
o Leads new program development and oversees the program sustainability process in assigned disciplines; assists the process of maintaining college accreditation.
o Ensures program certification and accreditation by acting as a liaison with certifying or accrediting agencies and boards, facilitating site visits, assisting with preparation of reports for oversight bodies.
o Maintains currency with assigned program trends, issues, legislations, and other actions affecting program certification, accreditation, and operations.
o Oversee and promote academic assessment, program review and improvement processes including assessment of student learning outcomes for assigned areas.
o Facilitates campus and regional course schedules in cooperation with academic deans, division chairs, and faculty members and assists with implementing the college academic master plan.
o Leads efforts and supports faculty in development of articulation agreements for assigned areas.
o Serves as college’s lead academic dean for distance education initiatives and works with college academic supervisors to determine online courses offered each semester.
o Engages faculty and staff to incorporate opportunities for diversity in curriculum, teaching, and presentation.
o Serves as college’s lead academic dean to administer Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO), College in the High School (CHS), and Online College in the High School (OCHS). Works collaboratively with the East Grand Forks Dean of Health, Human Services, and Trades to administer these programs.
- Leads administrative activities within assigned areas.
o Designated authority for student appeals related to academic misconduct issues for assigned programs.
o Collaborates to align academic policies across the region and serves as the Thief River Falls Campus primary contact with secondary and post-secondary partners.
o Work with program advisory committees, agency personnel and others to assess community needs and assist with the development of curriculum to ensure program effectiveness.
o Collaborates with workforce solutions to fulfill customized training needs.
o Aligns curriculum, hiring, and delivery across the northwest region and with other MinnState institutions.
o Assures compliance of Safety and Health regulations within the scope of responsibility.
o Develops and manages academic budgets in assigned areas and collaborates with other administrators to secure additional resources as needed to support assigned disciplines.
o Coordinates the development and administration of contracts with business and industry pertaining to student and faculty internships in assigned areas.
o Maintains currency and complies with EEO, affirmative action, MinnState, Northland, and other pertinent regulations.
o Recruit, interview, and recommend personnel for appointment, promotions, rewards, transfers, disciplines and dismissals in the department.
o Writes job analysis and assists in salary development for all personnel supervised.
o Assists in onboarding processes for new employees in assigned areas.
o Works with college student services, enrollment management, and marketing representatives on plans for student recruitment, retention completion strategies, and program-specific marketing materials.
- Provide effective leadership for the Thief River Falls Campus.
o Mediates department personnel problems and champions continuous quality improvement.
o Engages in ongoing professional development including involvement with professional organizations related to educational, governmental, and regulatory aspects of this position.
- Assist prospective students, current students, and alumni.
o Serves as first level appeal authority for academic misconduct issues for assigned programs.
o Oversees and assists in management of enrollment and retention for assigned programs.
o Addresses student concerns within assigned programs.
- Encourage faculty and staff to develop creativity and excellence in their positions.
o Provides leadership to the Division Chairs to implement course schedules, recommend instructor assignments, and manage academic program matters.
o Collaborates with other administrators to develop efficiencies, encourage innovation, and integrate new instructional technologies, especially in assigned program areas.
o Conducts effective classroom observations focused on student engagement and success.
- Ensures equal opportunity and affirmative action policies, procedures and programs are effectively used within area of responsibility.
o Demonstrates good faith effort to hire qualified protected group members in goal units where under-utilization currently exists within the department.
o Take steps necessary to prevent harassment or other discriminatory actions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in education or related field from regionally accredited college/university.
- Three years of experience in higher education leadership positions as faculty or administrator. Demonstrated success with internal and external partnerships and collaboration. Three years teaching experience at the post-secondary level. Demonstrated commitment to ethical behavior, honesty and integrity. Demonstrated commitment to professional development and growth of others.
- Knowledge of a regional approach to building and delivering higher education.
- Knowledge of instructional and student support methodologies.
- Knowledge of diverse student populations and the related issues, needs, and opportunities.
- Knowledge of accreditation processes, including assessment to promote learning and exceptional customer service.
- Skills in professional and technical areas including an understanding of and experience in the teaching and learning process, curriculum development, interviewing, leadership, and administration.
- Skills in written, oral, and non-verbal communication.
- Skills for problem solving to manage diverse and complex situations.
- Ability to effectively supervise, evaluate, motivate, and develop professional employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain productive, collegial, and professional working relationships with internal and external constituents of the college.
- Ability to develop, implement, and monitor long and short-term plans.
- Ability to manage change and transformation.
- Ability to effectively analyze and administer budgets.
- Doctorate in higher education, or related field from a regionally accredited college/university.
- Five or more years of leadership in a vocational/technical or community college. Vocational/technical or community college background and teaching experience.
Other Requirements About
Why Work For Us:
At Northland Community and Technical College, we have a GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! Our generous benefits include paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick Leave, Paid Parental Leave, low cost medical and dental insurance, a Pension Plan, 457(b) and 403(b) retirement plans and other retirement investment options, pre-tax medical and dental expense (with roll-over option) and dependent care accounts, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, as well as professional development and a tuition waiver program for employees and their dependents, etc. We promote the health and well-being of our employees and take work/life balance seriously.
- Application Procedure:
Please apply online https://northlandcollege.peopleadmin.com.
Online applications must include (please note your application will not be accepted without the following):
- Cover letter of interest
- Copy of all college transcripts
Review of applications will begin on August 31, 2020. The position will be open until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.