UNIV - Associate Dean for Development - College of Medicine
- Medical University of South Carolina
- Location: Charleston, South Carolina
- Category: Executive-Dean-Medicine
- Posting Date: 08/13/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Associate Dean will plan and lead all aspects of fundraising and comprehensive development initiatives aimed at increasing philanthropic support for the MUSC College of Medicine to include scholarships, endowed chairs, educational programs, research programs, faculty recruitment/retention, facility upgrades and expansions, among other projects, which managing a team of fundraisers and other staff (staff of approximately 25+, with a potential to grow)
Payscale Salary Range: UNIV-Band 0: Commensurate with experience.
- Conduct strategy meetings with the dean to maximize his time with donors;
- Supervise the College of Medicine's entire development staff, representing the COM's Dean's Office and all clinical specialty areas. - (Essential - 25%)
- Build the grateful patient program using industry Best Practices;
- Manage a prospect portfolio and solicit key principal gifts; Augment faculty and staff training to increase referrals of grateful patient donors; - (Essential - 25%)
- Use metrics to measure and grow success and satisfaction of gift officer team;
- Establish and communicate fundraising goals for team;
- Develop a comprehensive fundraising plan, and manage team members’ goal-setting and achievement of goals.
- Maintain oversight over the implementation and management of all development activities including timelines, budget, staff and outside counsel;
- Meet quantifiable goals, including major and principal gift solicitations;
- Work as a collaborative, congenial, and positive mentor, manager, and colleague. - (Essential - 25%)
- Be a member of the Dean’s Executive Committee and be involved with the strategic planning and achievement of the MUSC College of Medicine mission, providing professional counsel and insight.
- Work collaboratively and proactively with University Development and Alumni Affairs in order to achieve goals and grow the overall development program;
- Create and nurture a culture of philanthropy within the MUSC College of Medicine;
- Coach and collaborate with team members to recruit and manage volunteers who will help advance the MUSC College of Medicine's raising efforts within a variety of constituencies;
- Conduct necessary travel to meeting with donors and alumni as needed; - (Essential - 20%)
- Accept and execute other duties as assigned - (Essential - 5%)
Preferred Experience & Additional Skills:
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements: A bachelor's degree and a proven track record of major gift fundraising is required (higher education or healthcare preferred). A minimum of ten or more years of development experience is required. Must be able to work within a complex, multi-faceted organization to establish philanthropic and productivity goals, set action plans and achieve stated and agreed-upon objectives. Must be a “self-starter”, ambitious and goal-oriented. Must have strong leadership, interpersonal and communications (written and oral) skills. Ability to establish excellent working relationships with all constituents is required.
Must have ability to develop budgets and monitor expenditures. Knowledge or experience using Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and NXT platforms is preferred. Advanced degree is preferred.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform job functions in an upright position. (Frequent) Ability to perform job functions in a seated position. (Frequent) Ability to perform job functions while walking/mobile. (Frequent) Ability to work indoors. (Continuous) Ability to work outdoors in all weather and temperature extremes. (Infrequent) Ability to work in confined/cramped spaces. (Infrequent) Ability to perform job functions from kneeling positions. (Infrequent) Ability to squat and perform job functions. (Infrequent) Ability to perform 'pinching' operations. (Infrequent) Ability to fully use both hands/arms. (Frequent) Ability to perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders. (Frequent) Ability to reach in all directions. (Frequent) Possess good finger dexterity. (Continuous) Ability to maintain tactile sensory functions. (Continuous) Ability to lift and carry 15 lbs., unassisted. (Infrequent) Ability to lift objects, up to 15 lbs., from floor level to height of 36 inches, unassisted. (Infrequent) Ability to lower objects, up to 15 lbs., from height of 36 inches to floor level, unassisted. (Infrequent) Ability to push/pull objects, up to 15 lbs., unassisted. (Infrequent) Ability to maintain 20/20 vision, corrected. (Continuous) Ability to see and recognize objects close at hand. (Frequent) Ability to see and recognize objects at a distance. (Frequent) Ability to determine distance/relationship between objects; depth perception. (Continuous) Good peripheral vision capabilities. (Continuous) Ability to maintain hearing acuity, with correction. (Continuous) Ability to perform gross motor functions with frequent fine motor movements. (Frequent)
The Medical University of South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MUSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, age, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by state laws and/or federal regulations. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment based upon applicable qualifications, merit and business need.