Support Professional, Financial Aid Office Manager
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Financial Aid
- Posting Date: 09/16/2020
- Application Deadline: 09/29/2020
Date: September 15, 2020
Title: Support Professional, Financial Aid Office Manager
Position Number: 1081
Hours: 40 hours/52 weeks*
Salary: APSS, Level A, $18.23/hour
Reports to: Executive Director of Financial Aid
Close Date: September 29, 2020
*Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. Schedule may need to be adjusted to accommodate peak student service periods. This may include some evenings and weekends.
The Financial Aid Office Manager ensures office operations are well-organized, with a focus on efficiency and student service. The Office Manager will assist the Executive Director of Financial Aid and Financial Aid Office staff by scheduling and organizing all department-related events and meetings; preparing meeting minutes;
updating financial aid web pages and social media; maintaining policies and procedures; monitoring and maintaining the office budget; assisting with the development of reports, presentation materials, forms, and print materials; and hiring and supervising student employees. The Office Manager also functions as a key customer care specialist in answering financial aid questions in person and via phone, email, text messaging, and click to chat, and in assisting with federal work-study and consortium-related processes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Schedule and organize all department-related meetings and events, including staff meetings, high school and community presentations and workshops, and financial literacy events
- Assist the Associate Director of Financial Aid - Customer Service with the development of weekly customer service schedules
- Serve as a customer care specialist in answering financial aid questions in person and via phone, email, text messaging, and click to chat web software. Provide students and parents with basic information related to admissions, orientation, academic advising, registration, and payment/refund processes as part of the GRCC enrollment management team.
- Prepare minutes for staff and other department-related meetings
- Monitor weekly budget reports, maintain internal budget documents, and record Financial Aid Office expenses to assist Budget Control Officer in managing the departmental budgets
- Compile and update all financial aid-related standard letters, forms, and informational materials to address changes in federal, state, and college policies and procedures. Coordinate production with Printing Services. - Ensure content on Financial Aid Office web pages and social media is up-to-date
- Coordinate with the Instructional Support Office to ensure that financial aid-related content in the college catalog is up-to-date
- Monitor usage and order office supplies and other materials for the Financial Aid Office - Hire, schedule, and evaluate Financial Aid Office student employees
- Assist in the preparation of reports and materials for audits, subpoenas, and loan servicer requests - Assist with updates to Financial Aid Office policies, procedures, and training documents - Coordinate with Student Employment Services and the Executive Director of Financial Aid in awarding and reconciling federal work-study funds
- Assist Financial Aid Loan Specialist with monthly reconciliation of student loan funds - Monitor and adjust student loan awards to address subsidized usage limits
- Process 2nd INS confirmations using the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program - Review and process class drop reports received from Dean’s offices
- Act as the primary contact for all financial aid consortium agreement students and partnering institutions. Prepare financial aid awards and monitor enrollment for participating students. Provide necessary documentation and information to the Student Records Office and to partnering institutions.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned
- Associates degree required or comparable combination of relevant education and experience - National Career Readiness Certificate preferred but not required.
- Experience working with the administration of federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs required
- At least three (3) years of similar customer service/office management experience, preferably in higher education
- Strong command of Microsoft Office and Google Suite software
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft CampusWide Information System and Perceptive Content (formerly ImageNow) preferred
- Working knowledge of financial aid web systems preferred. These include the Student Aid Internet Gateway (SAIG), the Common Origination and Disbursement website (COD), National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), DHS’ Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program, and Financial Aid Administrator (FAA Access).
- Strong mathematical skills required
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Ability to work under pressure with many interruptions in a busy student-centered environment - Adaptability to changing technologies and responsibilities
- Must enjoy working with the public and possess excellent oral and written communication skills - Ability to manage high volumes of service requests via phone, email, text message, and in person promptly, courteously, and professionally
- Attend professional development conferences, seminars, workshops, and webinars to stay abreast of
current regulations, trends, and best practices in the student financial aid profession
- Display patience, diplomacy, and excellent public relations skills; project professional image - Ability to serve students of diverse backgrounds, educational levels, and linguistic abilities - Effective supervisory skills and experience establishing positive working relations with others - Must be efficient with good attention to detail and possess strong organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, and complaint resolution skills
- Must demonstrate good independent judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations - Must maintain a high level of confidentiality and exercise sound data security practices - Ability to plan and work independently and as a team member
- Offices, classrooms, and computer labs in customer service setting
- Travel to offsite locations may be required
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. The posting will remain open until September 29, 2020 at 11:59 PM at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.