Coordinator, Communications and Public Relations
- Durham Technical Community College
- Location: Durham, North Carolina
- Category: Admin-Public Relations, Marketing and Communications
- Posting Date: 09/17/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Job TitleCoordinator, Communications and Public Relations
DepartmentMarketing and Communications
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or a related field.
One year of related work experience comparable to the job duties, functions, and responsibilities.
1. Experience in public or media relations, or in journalism.
2. Experience using mass email communications software, and creating and implementing strategic campaigns with ROI focus.
3. Experience working with diverse audience groups.
4. Experience working with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software.
5. Experience using data to assess campaign success.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Strong writing and editing skills.
2. Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
3. Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
4. Strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication/public relation skills.
5. Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
6. Strong creative thinking and innovation skills.
7. Strong background in integrated communications.
8. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
9. Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college.
10. Must work well in a team environment.
The Communications and Public Relations Coordinator works as a part of the Marketing and Communications team to further advance the College’s marketing efforts, branding continuity, and communications initiatives. The Communications and Public Relations Coordinator also will be a liaison for the College’s media and public requests, as well as develop and edit content for College publications and marketing collateral. The Coordinator also manages the College’s email and text message marketing campaigns with a focus on enrollment growth and retention. Additional duties as follows:
• Understand and execute the College’s marketing and communications strategy.
• Develop and cultivate relationships with local and regional media representatives, as well as regularly pitch story ideas and develop news releases.
• Manage public release requests submissions from the College community and determine opportunities for media visibility.
• Assist Marketing Director and Creative Services Manager in editing, developing, and producing content for marketing collateral and digital communications campaign materials.
• Write and edit content for print, web, and social media. Projects frequently include general marketing collateral such as advertisements, fliers, brochures, letters, speeches, etc.
• Manage Durham Tech email and text marketing campaigns to target prospective students, retention of current students, and other audiences as part of the College’s marketing strategy.
• Coordinate and manage ongoing distribution of marketing and communications promotional materials and information to partner and community organizations, including school systems in Durham and Orange counties, to increase the College’s visibility.
• Support the College’s Website Designer/Developer in updating, correcting, and creating content for the College website.
• Assist Marketing Director and Creative Services Manager in managing advertising campaigns, production needs, vendor questions, and budgeting.
• Coordinate speaking engagements, including speech writing and editing, as needed for the Office of the President.
• Coordinate and update content for on-campus monitors.
• Serve as primary support for Public Information Officer as needed for crisis communications.
• Assist as needed with content, photos, graphics, and video clip production that showcase the best of Durham Tech, its students, programs and progress.
• Serve and support the College’s strategic enrollment efforts, including serving on councils, committees, and task forces as needed to further College initiatives.
This position is considered essential when and if a State of Emergency is declared by the President.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
• Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working HoursA minimum of a 40-hour workweek as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including occasional evening and weekend hours. Summer schedules may vary to enable four-day or four-and-one-half-
Hiring Range$38,000 -$45,000
Job TypeFull Time Staff
Open Until FilledYes