- Community College of Baltimore County
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland
- Category: Admin-Custodian - Janitorial
- Posting Date: 10/15/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary $12.77 Hourly
Location Essex Campus
Job Type Full-time
Division Administrative Services
Job Number 2018-97
Closing 10/28/2020 11:59 PM Eastern
Since 1957, CCBC has opened the doors to accessible, affordable, high-quality education empowering generations of area residents to improve their lives and the lives of others. Each year, more than 63,000 students enroll at the college's main campuses, extension centers and online.
The Custodian Associate position provides an immediate full-time (40 hours per week) opportunity to those individuals with no work or custodial experience to gain the training experience to prepare successful candidates to be promoted to a benefits eligible (i.e. Vacation and Personal Leave, Medical Insurance, Retirement Plan, and paid selected holidays and break periods) full-time Custodian position, and a pay increase, in as little as six-weeks. Safe and Sick Leave is offered to all Custodian Associates.
This position is a third shift position (11:00 pm-7:30 am) at either the Catonsville, Dundalk, and Essex college campuses.
The Custodian Associate is an entry level position. Under the supervision of the Supervisor of Building Services, the Custodian Associate is responsible for a variety of cleaning and housekeeping tasks related to the upkeep and sanitary environment of the college buildings.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Some custodian experience preferred.
- Flexibility and ability to change shifts when requested.
- Must be able to come to work every day and be on time.
- Due to nature of the position and frequent contact, candidates should have a command of the English language.
- Candidates will be required to successfully pass a background investigation, to include a criminal history evaluation prior to being hired as a Custodian Associate.
- Candidates will be required to successfully complete a physical examination, including drug screening prior to being promoted to a Custodian position. Candidates who are unsuccessful in successfully completing a physical examination will not be eligible for promotion to Custodian and will be removed from the Associate position.
This is an Essential Position and the employee must be available for building emergencies, and to perform regular duties or other assigned duties at times when the campus is closed to students and non-essential staff. Subject to 24-hour standby or call-in for building emergencies. May be required to work overtime or special hours as needed or required.
Position Specific Essential Duties
- Sweeps and cleans floors in classrooms, offices and corridors using brooms, brushes, mops, vacuum cleaners and similar cleaning aids. Empties and cleans waste/recycling s. Cleans windows and sanitizes drinking fountains. Cleans and/or polishes office and classroom furniture and equipment.
- Maintains lavatories and locker rooms in clean sanitary conditions. Mops and scrubs floors, walls and partitions. Cleanses and deodorizes fixtures and hardware. Refills towel, tissue, soap and deodorant s.
- Cleans ceiling fixtures, including but not limited to, light fixtures and air vents using a ladder as required.
- Cleans building entrances (up to 30 feet from building).
- Removes all accumulated trash/recycling from building.
- Reports to supervisor the need for additional cleaning supplies to maintain an appropriate level in respective Building Services closets.
- Reports all matters of safety to supervisor and Public Safety.
- Moves furniture, supplies and equipment as directed and required.
- Follows preventative maintenance procedures and makes minor repairs to cleaning equipment.
- Reports all identified maintenance items in need of repairs to supervisor.
- Participates in snow removal when necessary by clearing building entrances as directed.
- Effectively performs in a service environment and follows all county, state, college and departmental policies, procedures and practices.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned.