Instructional Support Specialist - Contract/Corporate Training (Grant Funded)
- Houston Community College
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Category: Admin-Secretary and Administrative Assistants
- Posting Date: 10/23/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
We are currently seeking an Instructional Support Specialist who will advance the institution’s proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
You: You enjoy working in a busy hub of activity, and you’re looking for a role that encompasses variety, a fast pace and the chance to help students every day.
Your mission: Support faculty in the delivery of specialized education courses.
A typical day: With such a broad range of responsibility, a “typical” day doesn’t exist. You’ll be doing a bit of everything, from managing databases to preparing student tests; from screening visitors to assisting with the help desk; and from proctoring exams to ordering supplies.
Next steps: If this sounds like the role you’ve been looking for, we’ve been looking for you! Your next step should be to apply for this position today.
- Manage student databases. Create, maintain, and edit databases for testing and promotional and/or course related mailings.
- Assist full-time and adjunct faculty for online testing.
- Prepare, edit and distribute student tests. Schedule instructors for test proctoring. Publish online exams and schedule proctored or practice/self-assessment. Proctor exams as necessary. Grade and record lab skills, quizzes, and exams.
- Process and distribute instructional newsletters and grade notifications.
- Process videotape distribution and returns. Distribute and collects SEOI forms.
- Duplicate instructional materials.
- Screen visitors. Answer phone calls. Sort and distribute faxes and mail.
- Assist with help desk. Manage student queries. Refer and schedule students for regular and make-up orientations.
- Operate various instructional office equipment.
- Handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
- File all correspondence. Maintain and protect applicant files, student testing and grading files. Purge and archive files as necessary. Maintain personal timesheets.
- Assist with asset management and organizational stewardship. Maintain program inventory and ordering of supplies. As necessary, assist and guide students in all lab activities including equipment set-up and usage, restocking of supplies and preparation of laboratory practice areas and activities.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills such as word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to maintain laboratory equipment
- Ability to adapt to lab policy and procedural changes.
- Good written, oral communication and organizational skills
- Excellent proofreading practices and skills
- Generate statistical analyses reports of student performance
- Basic understanding of test performance indices
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with a diverse student population
- Good Customer service skills over the phone
- Good technology troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Basic Knowledge of CANVAS learning Management system
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft is a plus
- Ability to work in different shifts