History Adjunct Instructor
- Laredo College
- Location: Laredo, Texas
- Category: Faculty-Liberal Arts-History
- Posting Date: 01/11/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
See Position Description
Laredo, TX 78040
Part-Time (19 hours or less per week)
Arts and Sciences
Social and Behavioral Sciences - History
$750 per Semester Hour Equivalent
Duties and Responsibilities
Application Pool Notice
Laredo College continuously accepts applications for part-time (adjunct) instructors to create a pool of candidates for each session/semester. Applications will be reviewed and positions will be filled based on department needs. Applications received for this pool will remain active for one year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide instruction and monitor teaching/learning effectiveness in courses assigned by the Department Chairperson, with the approval of the Dean of Arts & Sciences and the Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach History courses. Instructors would teach face-to-face, online, dual enrollment, or hybrid courses.
- Prepare and, on the first day of class, distribute departmental syllabus which informs students in writing about course requirements as to absences, tardiness, testing, assignments, and grading policies.
- Inform students of their progress by promptly returning assignments, quizzes, and examinations.
- Compile, administer, and grade instruments that evaluate student progress.
- Encourage the use of the Library, the Tutoring Center, the Counseling Center and other supportive services.
- Counsel students and notify student or counselors of frequent absences, failures, or necessary make-up work.
- Meet all assigned classes on time in the assigned classrooms and be available to students 15 minutes before class, except between classes when teaching back-to-back classes, and 15 minutes after class per day in the Adjunct office or the Tutoring Center.
- Be available for one hour per class taught for office hours in the adjunct office, tutoring center, or other area as approved by the Department Chair.
- Use Canvas as the LMS and grade book.
- Follow procedures related to the Registrar’s Office, including grade reports and deadlines, attendance record reports, withdrawal deadlines, mid-semester progress reports, and the like.
- Follow the academic calendar and procedures as outlined in the Faculty Procedures Manual.
- Direct library research or other outside assignments.
- Promote College programs and curricula.
- Update syllabi at least every two years.
- Substitute for colleagues when necessary.
- Cooperate in evaluation procedures by students, Department Chairperson, Dean of Arts & Sciences, and the Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Provide a safe environment for students and be responsible for the security of assigned equipment, materials, and classrooms.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chairperson, Dean of Arts & Sciences, Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs or President.
NOTICE: Required Documents
To be considered for this position, you are required to upload your resume and unofficial transcript(s). If recommended for this position an official transcript(s) will be required. If a license or certificate is required for this position, upload proof of your current license/certificate.
- Master's Degree, eighteen graduate hours in History.
- Some experience in teaching, preferably at the junior and/or senior college level.
Certificates and Licenses:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Be knowledgeable, mature, and concerned with the academic progress of students. Be cooperative and professional in dealing with college administrators, colleagues, and students.
- Ability to provide service to a diverse population, to operate specialized equipment, audio-visual aids, and to develop lecture strategies to enhance teaching effectiveness.
Department Chair, Dean of Arts & Sciences, and/or the Provost/Vice-President of Academic Affairs, and the President.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit.
The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Work-inside a well-lighted and air-conditioned area most of the time.
The noise level in the work environments is usually quiet to moderate.
Required to work safely and follow safety rules.
Report unsafe working conditions and behavior.
Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Immediate supervisor may assign other duties.
May be required to work outside regular working hours, as needed.
May be required to work at a different college work site or campus as needed.
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 11246 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Laredo College is open to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, or national origin who are otherwise eligible for admission as students. Furthermore, Laredo College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and no applicant or employee will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability or national origin. This institution will not enter knowingly into any contractual agreement for services or supplies with any firm failing to follow fair employment practices.
Foreign degrees require an evaluation for United States equivalency from an approved stated education agency or having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached to your online application at the time of applying. For your convenience, we have provided the following links to assist you in complying with this requirement. However, you may use any other certified transcript evaluation service. http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Certification/Out-of-State_Certification/Foreign_Credential_Evaluation_Services/ http://www.naces.org/members.htm
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. LC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of the job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by LC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.