Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Ocean County College
- Location: Toms River, New Jersey
- Category: Faculty-Liberal Arts-Political Science
- Posting Date: 01/25/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Adjunct Faculty provide course instruction in a manner that ensures student comprehension, retention of knowledge and positive and effective student engagement. This position demonstrates an understanding of course content, appropriate instructional and communication methods and the importance of following established syllabi and adhering to College policies, guidelines and teaching requirements.
1. Holds classes for all scheduled times; including the last scheduled class and adheres to and meets all established college teaching policies, guidelines and standards
2. Adheres to course delivery requirements that are outlined in the official course description, master course syllabi/outline, class syllabi, and lab schedules as applicable; submits a course syllabus and course outline that must be approved by the School Dean seven calendar days prior to the start of class
3. May attend departmental meetings; and serve on search committees as determined by the School Dean, Dean of e-Learning and/or Vice President at their discretion
4. Responds to invitations to make recommendations to the School Dean regarding the selection of textbooks or other required texts relative to the adjunct faculty member’s appropriate academic discipline and teaching assignment
5. Completes grading of student assignments and exams within 5 days; submits final grades no later than 48 hours after the conclusion of their last day of class; remains available to students during the week following the posting of final grades as mutually determined by the School Dean and the adjunct faculty member
6. Participates in student learning outcomes assessment related to the adjunct’s teaching assignment as directed by the School Dean
7. Adheres to all established College faculty and student absence and attendance policies, guidelines and requirements which includes the Adjunct Handbook
8. Prepares and maintains Canvas shells for assigned classes to include recording student attendance, posting assignment grades and exam grades, and communicates electronically to students
9. Completes related projects and duties as assigned
1. Education – one of the following:
a. Master’s Degree in the discipline;
b. Master’s Degree in a different discipline with at least 18 graduate credits in the discipline;
c. Master’s Degree in a different discipline, plus at least two years of directly related professional field experience and/or certification/licensure in the field of specialization
2. Prior experience teaching at the high school or college level; or experience as a trainer or in conducting group presentations
3. Proven communication and interpersonal skills.
4. Recent technology experience as required of the position.
1. Prior exposure to online course study or a Learning Management System (LMS).
Sedentary Work: Involves occasional (defined as one third or less of the time) lifting of no more than 10 pounds at a time. Work is performed primarily in a seated position and entails no significant stooping, standing, climbing, walking, etc. Many sedentary jobs require good use of the hands and fingers for repetitive hand-finger actions. Working conditions occur within low to moderate noise levels related to use of standard office or classroom equipment.
Based on college needs
Semester to Semester basis