Financial Compliance Manager
- Metropolitan Community College
- Location: Kansas CIty, Missouri
- Category: Admin-Business And Financial Management
- Posting Date: 01/25/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or similar field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in finance operations (finance, accounting, financial planning and analysis) or related experience is required.
- Minimum Education Qualification can be substituted with an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Preference will be given to individuals who possess:
- Certified Public Accountant.
- 7+ years of demonstrated experience on improving finance processes, risk and controls.
- Experience with documenting and flowcharting business processes, in particular finance processes.
- Experience writing policies and procedures.
- Experience mapping and analyzing processes.
- Experience with complex/matrixed organizations.
- Prior work experience with governmental, foundations and public institutions desirable.
- Experience building capacity/ training diverse groups highly desirable.
Normally scheduled Monday through Friday; however, may be required to work other shifts to include evenings and/or weekends. Schedule subject to change based on department needs.
- Cover letter, resume and transcripts are required and must be attached to the online application in order to receive any consideration.
- Interviews will be conducted by a hiring committee.
Incumbents are responsible for the management of an assigned accounting/finance function such as budget and planning, delinquent account, student financials, general accounting services and grant accounting to ensure the integrity and effectiveness of accounting records, reports, and procedures.
- Research upcoming GASB/FASB pronouncements and manage implementation
- Study business and financial trends.
- Prepare reports based on financial data.
- Analyze financial data and provide financial support.
- Evaluate current and previous financial data and prepare financial statements.
- Set up compliance tools for financial and accounting oversight and monitoring and manage the implementation of those tools.
- Develop an effective system to monitor controls are in place to minimize risk; furthermore, implement compliance tools for planning and budgeting, and finance and accounting processes.
- Work closely with the Associate Vice Chancellor to monitor implementation of these processes and for clarity of communication of the processes.
- Manage the implementation and updating of financial policies and procedures to support the financial services areas.
- Consult and provide guidance and information on process development or redesign initiatives.
- Manage and negotiate the timelines of the financial projects focusing on the development, implementation, administration and operation of new business processes and strategies.
- Monitor and provide updates on post-implementation and conformance reviews with a focus on continuous improvement and compliance.
- Advise on the issues and problems that may arise as process implementation activities and improvements occur.
- Create, enhance, and maintain the procedures library which includes a complete range of policies, procedures, best practices, tools, forms, and job-aids to efficiently and effectively support projects operations for all functions (finance, accounting).
- Knowledge in finance, accounting, planning and budgeting, risk, compliance, internal controls and staff leadership.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles or GAAP;
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations;
- Computers and related software applications;
- Knowledge in excellent finance processes knowledge and writing skills.
- Skilled in the ability to work collaboratively with all teams and field operations staff toward the achievement of delivering the training and procedures;
- Skilled at working in a culturally diverse environment;
- Skilled in excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Skilled in organization and detail-oriented;
- Skilled in excellent technical writing skills;
- Skilled in applying accounting principles and practices;
- Skilled in recording, verifying, reconciling, and reporting accounting transactions;
- Skilled in identifying, investigating, and resolving accounting discrepancies;
- Skilled in preparing financial statements and reports;
- Skilled in reading, comprehending, and analyzing financial statements;
- Skilled in maintaining financial statements and processes;
- Skilled in developing and implementing internal controls.
Positions in this class typically require: feeling, grasping, hearing, fingering, reaching, repetitive motion, standing, talking, visual acuity, and walking. The work is sedentary work which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly.