Political Science Instructor
- College of the Sequoias
- Location: Visalia, California
- Category: Faculty-Liberal Arts-Political Science
- Posting Date: 02/16/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary: $67,386.00 - $88,844.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 5939-f-01/21
Closing: 2/26/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Tulare/Hanford, CA
Department: Political Science
Division: Social Science
Sequoias Community College District is seeking an equity-minded candidate to join our Political Science Department in a full-time, tenure-track position serving our students at the Hanford and Tulare Campuses beginning August 2021.
Sequoias Community College District is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the District has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. In fall 2019, we enrolled approximately 13,493 students in which:
- 66.5% identify as Latinx;
- 2.4% as Asian;
- 2% as Black/African American;
- 19.7% as White;
- 1% as Filipino;
- .3% as Native American;
- .1% as Pacific Islander; and
- 5.7% as multiracial
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY:
Sequoias Community College District values the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, abilities, genders, gender identities, and orientations. The District prioritizes applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits a diverse student population brings to a community college and seeks faculty members who are equity-minded, collegial, committed to helping all students achieve their educational goals, and value mentorship. Ideal candidates will share the Sequoias Community College District's commitment to student-centered pedagogy and to creating inclusive learning experiences that will benefit our racially and socioeconomically diverse student population.
Providing instruction in Political Science on the Hanford and Tulare Campuses, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Teaching introductory courses on Comparative Politics, Federal, State, and Local Government, International Relations, Political Science, and Political Theory and Thought;
- Maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position and currency in teaching Political Science;
- Using a variety of pedagogies and integrating a wide range of instructional delivery systems, including innovative and creative uses of technology for face-to-face, on-line, and/or hybrid formats;
- Communicating effectively with students;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening, on-line, and large group instruction classes as needed;
- Teach scheduled classes and perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with clerical and administrative responsibilities;
- Participating in program review, program and student learning outcome development, and assessment to improve student learning;
- Participating and serving on department, division, college and district committees as necessary to maintain and improve the instructional program;
- Participating in appropriate professional development activities; and
- Complying with district, college and division policies in the performance of duties.
The candidate must meet the following minimum qualification criterion:
I. All candidates must have evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice inside and outside the classroom;
II . Master's in political science, government, public administration or international relations;
Bachelor's in any of the above AND Master's in economics, history, social science, sociology, any ethnic studies, JD, or LLB;
The equivalent (requires equivalency see link below).
Note: If the degrees posted on your transcript(s) do not match EXACTLY as stated above, you MUST petition for equivalency. If claiming equivalency, please complete and submit the appropriate Equivalency paperwork found at: https://www.cos.edu/en-us/Governance/Board/BoardPolicies/Documents/AP%207211%20-%20Equivalency.pdf (Download PDF reader). Your equivalency paperwork must be submitted with your application, by the recruitment deadline. Please submit as a "supplemental attachment" within the "Attachment" section of this application.
In looking at application materials, the hiring committee also seeks evidence of the following:
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one's instructional, relational, and classroom practices, from an equity-minded lens, to more effectively engage and support students;
- Experience in developing new and current curriculum, participate in program planning, and focus on student learning outcomes to improve student learning;
- Experience in organizing civic engagement events;
- Knowledge of current Political Science research;
- Knowledge of current assessment methods and materials;
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and staff; and
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth.
To be considered applicants must submit ALL of the following required material before or by the filing deadline:
- Online COS application;
- Equity Narrative (included in the Supplemental Questions);
- Teaching Pedagogy and Philosophy Narrative addressing each of the desirable qualifications. (500-600 words); add it as an attachment under "Other" within the "Attachment" section of the online job application.
- Curriculum Vitae and/or Resume;
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university workofficial transcripts are required upon employment;
- Equivalency documents (if necessary); and
- Two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies. If submitting confidential recommendation letters from a third party, please have letters emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit a reference list in lieu of letters of recommendations.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Keila Reynoso at email@example.com or
**Partial reimbursement for travel costs may be available for applicants traveling more than 200 miles for an interview.