Instructor, Sociology - Adjunct
- Guilford Technical Community College
- Location: Jamestown, North Carolina
- Category: Faculty-Liberal Arts-Sociology
- Posting Date: 02/22/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their instructional field. He/she will be responsible for quality instruction and for effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the college.
Under general supervision, this individual will prepare and teach courses designed for transfer and support of career technical programs. These courses may include: SOC-210 Introduction to Sociology, SOC-213 Sociology of the Family, SOC-220 Social Problems.
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
- developing learner centered lesson plans
- employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
- incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
- creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse student population
- preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate
- conducting appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes in courses and programs/general education as appropriate
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
- participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or accreditation
- participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching skills and strategies
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment and student records to include:
- maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned equipment
- providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional materials and maintaining safe working conditions
- maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs (e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
- complying with all applicable college, state and federal rules and regulations
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
- conducting recruiting activities
- promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies for success
- referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate
- Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain student records.
- Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
Difficult Challenges Contacts Education Required
- Master’s degree in Sociology or a related field from a regionally accredited university with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hour credits in Sociology.
- Doctoral degree in Sociology from a regionally accredited university
- Post-secondary teaching experience in Sociology
- Community college teaching experience
- Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes
- Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery systems
The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its “open door” policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned. The Instructor must be able to:
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments.
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively
6. Ability to effectively implement and apply technology solutions.
KSA Preferred Department/Job Specific Requirements
Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire) and annual updates as required; other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
2. Discrimination & Anti-Harassment (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
3. Shooter on Campus (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
4. Personal Information Protection (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
5. Ethics and Social Responsibility (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
6. elearning Level One (before the first day of the first semester teaching)
7. eLearning Levels Two and Three for instructors who teach online or hybrid delivery methods (before the first day of the first semester teaching)
May include teaching day and evening and on multiple campuses
Criminal history checks, with acceptable results, are required.
Posting Type Adjunct Faculty