- Grand Rapids Community College
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Athletics/Coaching
- Posting Date: 02/26/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Date: February 26, 2021
Job ID: 1102
Title: Athletic Director
Hours: 40 Hours/52 Weeks
Compensation: Meet and Confer, Grade 16, $66,705
Reports to: Associate Provost/Dean of Student Affairs
Close Date: March 12, 2021
The Athletic Director will provide leadership, oversight, and day to day supervision of the intercollegiate
athletic program, and ensure and demonstrate the program complies with college policies and
procedures, as well as NJCAA rules and regulations and conference guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Responsible for the leadership, oversight, and day to day supervision of the intercollegiate
• Develop and coordinate the implementation of program goals and objectives to enhance the
athletic program and student athletic experience.
• Foster an environment that promotes athletic and academic success.
• Serve as the official College representative for matters concerning the MCCAA, Region XII, and
the NJCAA, which includes being current on compliance changes and requirements.
• Attend required athletic state and regional meetings, as a representative of the College.
• Effectively work with academic and student services to promote and support athlete retention,
successful transfer, completion, and accomplishment of educational goals.
• Participate in the Student Affairs Leadership Team by attending meetings, providing updates,
collaborating on athletic and student success initiatives, and providing staff coverage.
• Responsible to ensure that emergency response protocols are known and followed for direct
• Responsible for the short and long-term athletic program planning, including the
encouragement of processes and program improvement opportunities.
• Respond and document athlete and team concerns and complaints in a timely manner, which
include informing the Dean of Student Affairs.
• Coordinate the process and selection of the GRCC athletic awards for presentation at the annual
student leadership and athletic recognition programs
• Reviews and develops Athletic policies and practices for consideration and approval
• Remain knowledgeable in ADA and Title IX requirements, which include athlete submissions to
the NJCAA upon request.
• Responsible for coordinating athletic related information for the external community in
accordance with college protocol.
• Develop and maintain community partnerships and relationships with area high school and
college athletic directors and programs.
• Responsible for timely communication with supervisor and other college personnel regarding all
emergency incidents and incidents of inappropriate conduct.
• Explore and develop fundraising opportunities in collaboration with the GRCC Foundation office.
• Regular attendance during normally scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for
serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
• Leads and manage the day-to-day athletic program operations.
• Manage and coordinate all home and off-site athletic events, including schedules, preparation
of facilities, equipment, officials, and game personnel (game management).
• Coordinate with on-campus services and monitor the academic advising support, study table
team activities, and academic progress reports for student athletes.
• Provide regular communications to coaches and volunteers on program planning, college
requirements and updates.
• Complete NJCAA regional, and national athletic award nomination submissions for student
• Complete and monitor the annual Athletic Department Plan.
• In coordination with staff, develop and implement regular athletic communications for
upcoming programs, and special events.
• Coordinate and document the athlete annual orientation and Title IX training programs.
• Oversee and coordinate the travel for athletic teams during the regular and off-season
competition, including spring break trips for designated teams.
• Oversee and supervise the purchase of equipment for the athletic program with the assistance
of the equipment manager.
• Actively promote the athletic program and work cooperatively with the communication and
student life offices.
• Coordinate the game filming and statistical recording that is required and requested for sports
• Ensure the GRCC Website is current and relevant for weekly sport information and upcoming
• Review and update the coaches and student athlete handbooks, bulletins, and other
Supervision and Oversight
• Attend all athletic home events/competitions and act as game administrator, or be responsible
for delegating a game administrator.
• Hire and supervise a student staff to assist and support on-site team practices, competition and
• Coordinate and oversee the recruitment and search process, training, and evaluation of athletic
personnel (FT Athletic Trainer, One-Third APSS, PT Head and Assistant Coaches, Contingency
staff, and student employees).
• Administer and communicate to athlete staff and coaches the College policies, procedures, and
necessary documentation including those specific to athletics (e.g. code of conduct, Title IX,
FERPA, health insurance requirement, athletic handbook, and eligibility).
• Ensure the college processes and required documents are completed for volunteer involvement
and clearance to participate with the athletic program.
• Oversee and review the Athletic Website including approving rosters, schedules, coaching
personnel, and athletic information postings.
• Serve as the liaison for community sports media and manage athletic program related
• Follow-up with athletes and coaches to obtain NJCAA official and required documents for
athlete tracking and eligibility submissions.
• Oversee and ensure that athletic grant aid (LOI) and scholarships awarding submission are
timely and accurate for student account review and posting by the financial aid office.
• Assist and support the Coaches in recruiting student athletes, while working cooperatively with
admissions, orientation, and financial aid.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Associate Provost/Dean of Student Affairs.
Fiscal and Budget Management
• Responsible for the financial preparation, monitoring, and management of the athletic program.
• Responsible for submitting post season tournament off-cycle budget requests and expense
accountability following regional and national travel.
• Responsible for following the BCO annual budget request and reporting cycle.
• Responsible for the reimbursement and credit card process and records for head coach.
• Coordinate, monitor, and approve fundraising activities and requests sponsored by the Athletic
• Review and approve with Dean of Student Affairs fundraising proposals from Coaches.
• Responsible for ensuring trip and athletic related expenses follow college and athletic policies.
• Monitor and approve individual sport club/agency account requests and spending.
• Ensure and demonstrate the athletic program is in compliance with college policies and
• Demonstrate compliance with all NJCAA rules and regulations along with conference guidelines.
• Responsible for the coordination and monitoring of the NJCAA required outcome reports for
NJCAA including the athletic scoreboard.
• Accountability and management of the NJCAA letter of Intent (LOI) process for prospective and
current athletes which include the timely electronic submissions.
• Certifies and monitors eligibility of student athletes as prescribed by the NJCAA and any other
governing agencies, which includes creating and maintaining required individual and team audit
• Coordinate and supervise NJCAA sport audits when college is required to submit.
• Work closely with the coaching staff to ensure that GRCC, its staff, and the student athletes
comply with all MCCAA and NJCAA pertinent compliance standards and requirements.
• Ensure that sports facilities are prepared according to appropriate guidelines and make
recommendations for required changes.
• Monitor and report any federal equity issues with regards to Title IX compliance.
• Serve as a college deputy coordinator for Title IX student concerns which includes on-going
training and reporting.
• Track and report team travel information for the college’s annual Clery Report.
• Provide and check athletic and program information for the GRCC annual submission of the Title
IV equity in athletics consumer report.
• Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSA’s will be trained and
responsible for reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by the Clery Act.
MARGINAL (NON-ESSENTIAL) JOB FUNCTIONS
• Other duties as assigned by the Associate Provost/Dean of Student Affairs
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college/university.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred, but not required.
• Two (2) to Three (3) years of experience in athletics related administration or equivalent in an
• Higher Education athletic administrative experience preferred
• Supervisory experience in an athletic department preferred
• A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the standards and requirements for NJCAA
and Title IX regulations preferred
• Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated leadership, organizational, and problem solving skills
• Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive to off-site regional meetings,
events and competitions
• Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
• Ability to lift and move equipment to support events (50 lbs.)
• An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student
• An interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of ages,
ethnicities, national origins, and abilities
• Demonstrated initiative and strong organizational and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimal supervision
• High energy level
• Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to
interruptions and schedule changes
• Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and
• This position requires flexibility to provide administration and oversight at on and off-campus
athletic activities and events day, evening, and weekends.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
All interested applicants must visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs to specifically apply for this
position. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The posting will close March 12, 2021.
Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an
Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes
the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational
and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin,
disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities,
services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or
compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all
aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection,
retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis
of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any
person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.