Support Professional, College Success Center
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Other Administrative Positions
- Posting Date: 04/21/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Date: April 21, 2021
Position Title: Support Professional, College Success Center
Position Number: 1134
Hours Per Week: 40 hours per week/ 52 weeks
Salary: APSS, Level B, $17.08 per hour
Reports to: Associate Director, College Success Center
Posting closes: May 5, 2021
*Must be willing to have a flexible schedule to accommodate weekend and evening hours as needed.
This position serves as the primary support person for the College Success Center and is the first point of
contact for students, faculty, community members and staff. A key aspect of the work is to provide quality
customer service while working the front desk to schedule and check-in student appointments while also
providing general information and directing students to other appropriate service areas and resources as
needed. This position provides service and assistance in-person, by phone, and via email.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide high-level secretarial and administrative support for the College Success Center
- Foster a friendly, supportive, and welcoming environment for students, colleagues, and the community
- Monitor department’s main phone line and email daily and provide timely responses
- Perform general office duties by maintaining general and confidential files, scheduling appointments and
meetings, sorting and disseminating mail, and coordinating work calendars and work schedules.
- Assist in maintenance of accurate daily schedules for coaches
- FastTrack- in collaboration with the Program Support Coordinator, develop and maintain student
recruitment files using a variety of sources; generate, update, and maintain program files and databases;
and support distribution of promotional materials to eligible students
- Student Caseloads- maintain appropriate and confidential student records; coordinate student intake
processing, including necessary data entry, and coach assignments in PeopleSoft; each semester, create a
report of student caseloads to aid in retention outreach efforts.
- Faculty communication- assist in creating email communication to faculty each semester
- Support in the monitoring and processing of departmental budget
- Assist in creating and updating marketing materials and other departmental documents
- Establish and maintain a variety of accurate and easy-to-use tracking, reporting and filing systems with
emphasis on creating sustainable, paperless processes where possible.
- Assist the Associate Director with coordinating the collection and analysis of program data. Compile data
from a variety of sources (PeopleSoft, Data Warehouse, Radius, EAB Navigate, etc.) to create accurate
summary reports as requested or required.
- Assist with program logistics, coordination, data input and processing, evaluation, and provide support
as requested and necessary.
- Support in processing referrals to the department
- Maintain inventory and order student transportation support supplies as needed.
- Assist in organizing and managing scheduling and preparations for programs and events, including but
not limited to ordering supplies and materials, reserving and arranging room, creating agendas, menus,
ordering and organizing materials, and maintaining attendee lists.
- Manage scheduling and preparations for department meetings, as well as other internal and external
meetings. Take effective meeting notes and minutes, distribute, and file accordingly.
- Update and maintain departmental web page
- Provide direct supervision and mentoring of student employees
- Provide coverage and maintain front desk operations during hours that the department is open
- Inventory and order office supplies as needed
- Assist with EAB Navigate, SARS, PeopleSoft, Radius, Google and other technologies utilized by the
department as they pertain to the responsibilities of the department
- Participate as a member of College, Divisional, and Departmental teams or committees as requested or
as mutually agreeable.
- The College Success Center may share a front desk, work spaces, and lobby space with other Student
Success and Retention programs. This position may assist with student traffic for these programs.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving
customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Associates Degree or comparable combination of relevant education and experience.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred
- Minimum of three or more years of secretarial or administrative assisting experience in a similar position
(preferably in a higher education setting)
- Experience communicating and working effectively with diverse populations.
- Previous supervision experience preferred
- Previous experience projecting a professional image including punctuality, dependability, and good
- The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence
based selection process:
● Information Skills
● Leadership Skills
● Judgement & Decision Making
● Getting Information
● Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or
● Interacting With Computers
● Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal
● Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
● Documenting/Recording Information
● Processing Information
● Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
● Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
● Performing Administrative Activities
● Making Decisions and Solving Problems
● Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
● Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance
● Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings ● Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferred
- Strong command and skills in Microsoft Office and Google Suite required
- Evidence of strong skills in word processing, spreadsheets, database programs, and willingness to learn
- Experience with Drupal and Adobe preferred
- Must be willing to learn the GRCC Campus Wide Information System, prior experience preferred
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, handle multiple tasks, and meet timelines in a multi-project
- Proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with people of
- Knowledge of fiscal management principles and procedures
- Knowledge and understanding of higher education organizational structures, policies, and procedures
- Proficient with data tracking, data analysis, and reporting.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a constant and at times heavy workload and ensure that actions are
completed effectively and within deadlines sometimes with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations and maintain confidentiality.
- Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus
possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work including record keeping and
filing and preparation of financial reports and documents.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities and be able to exert initiative and resourcefulness.
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service and maintain a student-oriented approach in a
demanding work environment.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional
- Must be self-motivated and resourceful, demonstrating initiative and strong problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to
- Must possess a positive attitude and enjoy working with the public.
- Ability to provide support, guidance, and direction to student workers, faculty, and staff of the
- Aptitude for assessing office needs and implement appropriate initiatives
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment with many interruptions
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and responsibilities
- Requires punctuality and good attendance record
- Participate in web based, onsite, and off site professional development opportunities
- May include evenings and weekends as requested or as necessary to support department projects or
METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is
only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The
opportunity to apply for this position will close on May 5, 2021 at 11:59 PM ET. Individuals with diverse
backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the
value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and
employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation,
familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement
including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal
law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including
recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent
discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of
retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further
information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.