Financial Aid Specialist (S13038)
- Montgomery College
- Location: Montgomery, Maryland
- Category: Admin-Financial Aid
- Posting Date: 05/24/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.
Financial Aid Specialist (S13038)
Job Description Summary
Montgomery College, Office of Student Affairs/Financial Aid, has need for a full-time, Financial Aid Specialist position #S13038. If you enjoy interacting with students and their families, ensuring that they have the information needed to begin a successful college journey, this is the job for you! The work schedule is Monday – Friday, and hours may vary between 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., including some evenings and weekends. This is a bargaining, non-exempt position. For non-exempt positions, you are not eligible to work a secondary job at Montgomery College.
Successful candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence in an educational and work environment and must be willing to contribute to the Colleges strategic plan of inclusion.
Work consists of performing administrative and technical activities of financial aid programs, advise prospective and current students and their family representatives regarding participation in federal, state and institutional financial aid programs including eligibility, regulations, policies and procedures through in-person, phone and email conversations.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Advise students and their family representatives regarding financial aid
regulations, application policies and procedures, methods used to determine
eligibility, specific program requirements and limits, disbursement and appeal
procedures, requirements for continued eligibility, and related financial
• Assist students in completing the application process.
• Evaluate financial aid applications and determine financial aid eligibility in
accordance with state, federal and institutional policies governing financial
• Award financial aid to eligible students using established guidelines.
Exceptions to policies and regulations are escalated to higher level financial
• May facilitate loan entrance counseling sessions.
• May facilitate and/or participate in program specific or financial aid outreach
• Maintain statistical data and review generated reports. May supervise student
- Associate’s degree.
- Minimum of three years of experience working in a student Financial Aid Office or the equivalent combination of education, training, certification and/or experience that provides the required knowledge and expertise to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Working knowledge of current Student Financial Aid Office policies and procedures, state and federal financial aid regulations and policies, and institutional policies governing financial aid.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following programs: loans, work study or other federal or state program.
- Ability to perform needs analysis and prepare package aid to students.
- Ability to evaluate applications for financial aid and interpret and apply complex regulations.
- Skill in the use of student financial aid data management systems.
- Thorough knowledge of customer service techniques for public contact.
- Skilled in interpersonal relations (including serving a diverse community) with ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, and work effectively with others within and outside of the institution.
- Exercise diplomacy, tact, and maintain confidentiality.
- Skilled in use of business English, spelling, grammar and conventional styles and formats used in office communications.
- Ability to perform general office clerical work, apply technical rules and procedures, perform arithmetical calculations quickly and accurately, operate office equipment including desktop computers and relevant pc hardware and software applications.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Bachelor’s Degree
Salary Range: $25.97 to $33.75 (per hour). Initial salary placement is based on candidate experience and internal equity. New hires do not typically start beyond the mid-point of the range.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Cover letter preferred
- Online applications must be received by Wednesday, May 26, 2021
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Wednesday, May 26, 2021
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: email@example.com.
Two (2) weeks’ notice required to provide accommodations.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.