Health Sciences Success/Retention Coach
- Prince George's Community College
- Location: Largo, Maryland
- Category: Admin-Health and Medical Services
- Posting Date: 06/02/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position TitleHealth Sciences Success/Retention Coach
Full Time or Part TimeFull Time
Hiring Salary Range$56,316-$61,947/Annually
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Job Description Summary
The Health Sciences Retention/Success Coach for nursing and allied health programs serves as a coach and mentor for students throughout their respective programs. The primary focus of the Retention/Success coach is supporting nursing students to enhance success and collaborate with the Retention/Success Coach whose primary responsibility is support for Allied Health students. The Retention/Success Coach collaborates with current faculty and staff in developing plans to support student success. The Retention/Success Coach inspires, mentors, motivates, and challenges students to excel. The Retention/Success Coach supports enrollment, student development, and retention services while ensuring high-quality learning in accordance with Prince George’s Community College’s (PGCC) policies and procedures and federal, state and regional regulatory requirements and accreditation standards.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Allied Health discipline from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (or international equivalent) required. Master of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Certification/licensure in Nursing or Allied Health disciplines required.
- One year of recent clinical practice experience and/or knowledge in the healthcare environment and patient services required.
- One year of online education experience required (either as an online facilitator, instructor or student).
- One year of experience in academic advising of nursing or allied health students in higher education preferred.
CRITERIA: The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application. Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below for this position.
- Identifies at risk students early in their matriculation
- Implements strategies to support student including but not limited to individual and group tutoring, instruction on study and test taking skills, time management and work / life balance.
- Develop learning Cafés to support students based on identified needs.
- Mentors students throughout their program of study.
- Tailors services available to meet the program and students’ needs.
- Collaborates with the faculty to promote a quality student learning experience
- Ensure that students are on track with document retention strategies
Collaborates with the Nursing Department and Allied Health Department in ensuring
programmatic accreditation standards are met in regard to student success.
- Acts as the first point of contact/team resource concerning student performance issues and questions.
- Serves as subject matter expert in program curriculum process and responsible for information dissemination to advising team.
- Partners with the department chairs to track progression of students towards to ensure students are aware of all requirements and timeline.
- Tracks metrics relevant to student progression through the program and the reason for stop out if relevant
- Collaborates with the departments to evaluate processes in the spirit of continuous quality improvement.
- Manages cohorts of students and coaches through degree program
- Coaches and inspires students with life or other circumstances to ensure online course
- Encourages and supports students as they gain the skills and knowledge necessary for success
- Provides a trusting environment where students can share their thoughts, aspirations, concerns, and interests
- Acts as the student liaison between other departments
- Submits monthly reports of student mentoring and success activities
- Participates on assigned committee(s)
- Attend and participates in department meetings.
- Shares the knowledge of the college catalog, curricula, and programs
- Interprets and accurately communicates college policies and procedures for students, faculty and staff
- Initiates, discusses and implements strategies to improve student success in Health Sciences students
- Consults with Allied Health and Nursing Department Chairs and Program Directors as needed
- Partners with faculty and staff to provide in class intervention, in class presentations,
implement annual programs and training for students
- Identifies and directs students to appropriate resources or departments for specialized on- and off-campus resources to meet individual needs
- Remains current and knows how to use Colleague, Owl Link, the email system, and other technologies or software required to support students
- Seeks opportunities to grow professionally by attending workshops, conferences, meetings and forums, reading literature, research publications and other professional development opportunities to advance expertise while supporting students’ success and to enhance the student experience.
- Develops collaborative, effective working relationships and programs with college personnel who are critical to Health Sciences student success.
- Assesses all programs, services and initiatives to ensure the learning outcomes and program outcomes are met. Report the findings on a monthly basis
- Creates, discusses and implements strategies to improve student success in Health Sciences programs
- Assists in the development and preparation of informational and marketing materials related to retention services specially for Health Sciences students
- Performs related work as required
- Must be available to work Monday – Friday; 8:30am-4:30pm. Work schedule subject to change based on the needs of the department.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Is Background Check Required?Yes
Posting NumberPGCC26711/12 GFF4
Open Until FilledYes
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The college is currently in a Modified Academic and Business Operation (MABO) model, which means some of the work is being performed from remote locations. When the conditions permit, based on CDC and College Administrator’s guidelines, employees will be required to resume their work on campus as directed by management. This position is located in the state of Maryland.