- Gogebic Community College
- Location: Ironwood, Michigan
- Category: Faculty-Medicine-Nursing
- Posting Date: 06/04/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time tenure-track faculty position to teach Nursing courses. The College offers a generous salary and benefits package. A nursing faculty member is responsible and accountable for ensuring the fulfillment of educational goals
and objectives of the Gogebic Community College Nursing Program. This position reports to the Director of Allied Health. Faculty will be required to evaluate student performances, generate necessary program reports and accreditation documentation, motivate, and advise students, and participate in program and department planning. In addition to instruction, the nursing faculty member has three roles: collaborator, director of learning, and role model. These roles are
particularly important in the program’s concept based curriculum, where students engage in active learning daily in order to meet their educational goals.
A commitment to professional development and learning is needed as nursing education continuously changes and grows. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Teach courses as assigned in accordance with the description published in the Catalog and Department Course Outline. Assigned courses will include class, lab, simulation, and clinical instruction.
• Create an environment that facilitates student learning and achievement of desired program outcomes.
• Facilitate student development and integration of expected nursing values and behaviors.
• Assess and evaluate students learning in the learning environment.
• Participate in curriculum design and evaluation of program outcomes.
• Pursue continuous quality improvements in the Nurse Educator role.
• Stay current in instructional methods and evidence-based, best practice nursing concepts and stay in tune with the impact those concepts place on the Nursing Program students’ education.
• Prepare classroom and clinical to support active learning experiences.
• Maintain compliance with all required agency and college policies.
• Maintain a collaborative working relationship with other faculty and staff in a dynamic environment.
• Master’s Degree in Nursing from a U.S. Department of Education regionally accredited college or university or the ability to attain one by January 2023.
• Current Michigan Nursing License or eligibility for MI license within 30 days of employment.
• Three (3) years full-time acute care clinical experience with direct patient contact.
• Maintains own license, immunizations, CPR or other requirements and able to provide evidence of current status.
• Teaching experience in Community College or University settings.
• Experience with simulation utilizing nursing education.
• Familiarity with and use of collaborative/active learning techniques.
• Background knowledge of classroom and student assessment.
• Experience with clinical learning, student supervision and teaching methods.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, balance, stoop, kneel, twist, and reach. The employee frequently is required to use a computer, and equipment related to patient care. The employee must be able to meet the Technical
Standards for Nursing. The employee must frequently lift, push, or pull up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, mid-range, far-range vision, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to detect sounds related to bodily function using a stethoscope, and detect audible alarms generated by mechanical systems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. This position requires some day travel and some overnight
trips. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This position does require some evening hours.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be. As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in
Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality.
Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome-focused philosophy.
Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region. Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a
wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
• Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees.
• A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond.
• Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
• Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an oncampus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public
ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
• The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself.
• Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture.
• Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200-mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest.
• With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all the following in one email or mailed envelope:
a letter of interest
a detailed resume
three references with current contact information
GCC Application for Employment
unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
other relevant material to:
unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment) other relevant material to:
Director of Human Resources, Ashley Paquette
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer