Research Associate I (Part Time)
- Salt Lake Community College
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
- Category: Admin-Laboratory and Research
- Posting Date: 06/18/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position TitleResearch Associate I (Part Time)
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Assistant Director, Research & Surveys
DepartmentData Science & Analytics (IE)
Job CategoryPart-Time Staff - Variable
Initial Work LocationTaylorsville Redwood Campus
Job Open Date06/18/2021
Open Until FilledYes
This position will directly influence student success by providing necessary datasets to faculty, staff, administrators, and students through effective data visualizations and tools. What motivates us to come to work every day is the feeling that we are helping our diverse community learn and grow. Our department is uniquely positioned at the college to truly make a difference in providing the data and stories for decisions to be made to improve our college.
Individuals in this role with have the opportunity to support researchers on implementation and analysis of quantitative and qualitative approaches to research. This includes, but is not limited to survey implementation, simple statistical analyses, data visualizations, pulling data from our data warehouse, and administering focus groups.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Research & Surveys, this role will produce written summaries of research findings and other products. Working with colleagues from across Data Science & Analytics, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and other departments, you will be involved in research for the college and for grants that will have a direct and positive impact on students’ success.
SLCC is a premiere community college in the western United States and a national leader. The college is increasing its investment in data and analytics and seeks a skilled manager to manage the front-line effort.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Collaborate with study and analytics team to test hypothesis, answer key questions, summarize data, and create reports.
• Perform quantitative and qualitative analyses of data results from these methods.
• Implement and analyze college-wide surveys.
• Produce written summaries of results for college leaders, or present findings in person.
• Assist stakeholders throughout the college in implementing surveys for their departments.
• Provide feedback to stakeholders about survey methods and design.
• Assist with grant-related survey design, implementation and analysis.
• Support college-wide course evaluations through implementation and administration.
• Ability to work independently and as a team player, to work on multiple projects under pressure and with tight timelines and maintain the attention to detail quality.
• Be equity-minded in your work.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Experience with R and/or python
• Basic understanding of statistics (i.e. crosstabs, regression, ANOVA, etc.)
• Experience with Qualtrics
• Experience with SQL
• Demonstrated ability to communicate about data visually and verbally
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Bonus if you has/have experience with:
• Administering focus groups
• Advanced programming experience
• Advanced understanding of statistics (multi-level modeling, hierarchical regression, forecasting, Bayesian inference, etc.)
Bachelor’s degree in psychology, sociology, social science, computer science, data analytics, statistics, data science, or relevant field of study
Demonstrated experience analyzing and visualizing data.
Zero (0) to three (3) years of direct related full time experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of data analysis and data visualization tools – ability to report trends and statistics
Written and verbal communication skills—you are comfortable explaining trends and statistics you summarize and visualize.
Can translate raw data into a language stakeholders can relate to
Knowledge of survey and/or qualitative research—questionnaire design, sampling design, survey statistics, analysis, reporting, text analysis, and focus groups
Ability to self-direct, multitask, and prioritize a constantly evolving workload
Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
Exceptional interpersonal skills—Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Please indicate on your resume if your work experience is full time or part time.
Please attach a resume and cover letter to your application.
Successful completion of a criminal background check may be required for this position.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.