Mathematics Instructor (part-time)
- Mott Community College
- Location: Flint, Michigan
- Posting Date: 07/15/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position TitleMathematics Instructor (part-time)
Employee GroupPT Faculty
Starting Salary$1048.00 per contact hour
Faculty member will be responsible for teaching mathematics classes which currently range from Basic Mathematics and Basic Algebra through Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra.
1. Master’s Degree or higher in Mathematics, or a related degree, with a minimum of 18 graduate hours of mathematics from an accredited institution.
2. Understanding of and commitment to community college teaching, mission and philosophy.
3. Innovative, flexible and positive teaching style and understanding the needs of students from diverse backgrounds.
4. Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
5. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
6. Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
7. Technology Skills: Ability to integrate computer applications into teaching.
8. Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program; ability to plan and implement lessons based on division and college objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned. Ability to establish an maintain collegial relationships with students, peers, staff, and administrators; skill in oral and written communication.
A foreign degree must be certified, at the candidate’s expense, by a professional evaluation service.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
2. Additional graduate level coursework or master’s degrees or higher in additional related disciplines
3. Experience in working with students who have not experienced success in mathematics, which could be in the K–12 community or with adults in the workplace, with verifiable success.
4. Recent, within the last three years, successful teaching of mathematics.
5. Recent, within the last five years, successful teaching at an accredited high school or adult training institution.
6. An interest in developing new courses and programs to meet the challenges of 21st century in mathematics or related areas.
7. Demonstrated familiarity with computer-based instruction, distance learning, learning technologies, competency-based instruction and modularized courseware or other alternate delivery methodologies and willingness to explore these options for delivery
8. Evidence of continuing professional development in the mathematics and/or related field and/or the teaching of these disciplines.
9. Earned credit in mathematics pedagogy or related coursework.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
2. S/he must be able to converse with individuals on a regular basis with the ability to read, analyze, and interpret their needs via phone conversations, face-to-face conversations, or written documentation.
3. The employee must be able to utilize all programs on a computer independently and efficiently (particularly the internet, Word, and the student database).
4. S/he must be able to present information in an instructional setting and respond to questions from groups.
5. If applicable, must be able to tolerate frequent exposure to a wide variety of chemicals which are common to the industry. Must be able to handle and mix chemicals properly and safely; and wear appropriate gloves.
Opportunities do not exist to teach online courses only.
Visa sponsorship is not available.
Selected candidates must submit to a drug test and criminal background check.
Additional Application Deadline Information
Equal Opportunity Summary