Physical Sciences Instructor
- Mott Community College
- Location: Flint, Michigan
- Posting Date: 07/15/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position TitlePhysical Sciences Instructor
Employee GroupPT Faculty
Starting Salary$1048.00 per contact hour
Faculty member will be responsible for teaching classes in Physical Sciences, specifically:
PHSC-191 Physical Science: 10:30AM – 11:55AM TR
PHSC-191L Physical Science Lab: 12:00PM – 2:55PM T
1. Master’s degree in Physical Sciences (MA, MS), or masters in a related field with 18 or more graduate hours in the Physical Sciences.
2. Understanding of and commitment to community college teaching, mission and philosophy.
3. Innovative, flexible and positive teaching style and understanding the needs of students from diverse backgrounds.
4. Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
5. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
6. Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
7. Technology Skills: Ability to integrate computer applications into teaching.
8. Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program; ability to plan and implement lessons based on division and college objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned. Ability to establish and maintain collegial relationships with students, peers, staff, and administrators; skill in oral and written communication.
* A foreign degree must be certified, at the candidate’s expense, by a professional evaluation service.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
2. Academic experience which includes work, research, study or teaching in one of the Physical Sciences.
3. Additional graduate level coursework or master’s degrees or higher in additional disciplines within the study of Physical Science
4. Recent, within the last three years, successful teaching of one of the Physical Sciences in the lecture and/or laboratory setting.
5. Recent community college/college teaching experience in one of the Physical Sciences.
6. An interest in developing new courses and programs to meet the challenges of 21st century in the Physical Sciences and related fields
7. Demonstrated familiarity with computer-based instruction, distance learning, learning technologies, competency-based instruction and modularized courseware or other alternate delivery methodologies.
8. Evidence of continuing professional development in Physical Science and/or the teaching of Physical Science.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
2. S/he must be able to converse with individuals on a regular basis with the ability to read, analyze, and interpret their needs via phone conversations, face-to-face conversations, or written documentation.
3. The employee must be able to utilize all programs on a computer independently and efficiently (particularly the internet, Word, and the student database).
4. S/he must be able to present information in an instructional setting and respond to questions from groups.
5. Must be able to tolerate some exposure to a wide variety of chemicals which are common to the industry. Must be able to work with chemicals properly and safely; and wear appropriate gloves.
10:30AM – 11:55AM TR (lecture)
12:00PM – 2:55PM T (Lab)
Must be available to teach onsite; opportunities do not exist to teach online courses only.
Visa sponsorship is not available.
Selected candidates must submit to a drug test and criminal background check.
Additional Application Deadline Information
(If no specific deadline) — The College reserves the right to close the recruitment process once a sufficient applicant pool has been identified.
Application DeadlineContinuously accepting applications.
Equal Opportunity Summary