Clerk Typist III (3) - District Pool
- Rio Hondo College
- Location: Whittier, California
Admin-Secretary and Administrative Assistants
- Posting Date: 07/21/2021
- Application Deadline: 10/21/2021
Position TitleClerk Typist III (3) - District Pool
Position TypeClassified Substitute pool
Number of Months AssignmentNot To Exceed 60 Days
Starting DateAs Needed
Current Work Schedule
Salary RangeRange 21
DepartmentHuman Resources (Dept)
About Rio Hondo College
Río Hondo College welcomes and embraces all students in their educational and career pathways. As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), our College has a student population of 22,000, of which 18,000 are Latinx students. We were the first college in Los Angeles County to provide two years of free tuition to first-time, full-time college students through our Río Promise program. We are proud to acknowledge that many of our students have transferred to high ranked institutions such as Harvard, Stanford, USC and UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach, and Whittier College to name a few.
Our caring and dedicated student-centered staff, faculty, and administrators are devoted to the advancement of educational justice, equity, and opportunity for all our students. Our College’s 900 employees, with close to 600 faculty, hold themselves accountable for the academic success of disproportionately impacted student populations. Our entire staff, with unwavering team collaboration, work hard to ensure our students reach their full potential by eliminating gaps in academic outcomes that traditionally hinder students of color.
Río Hondo College is committed to the recruitment of qualified and diverse employees who are dedicated to our students’ success. We recognize that diversity in an academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for our students. We are steadfast in our hiring practices and staff development processes which reinforce the goals of equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion. Our practices and processes also support the importance of a workforce that reflects the community and the diverse student population we serve.
Río Hondo College employs approximately 55% tenured track faculty of color; 60% part-time faculty of color; 85% classified staff of color; and 50% administrators of color.
Río Hondo College offers 30 associate degrees that guarantee transfer (ADTs) to Cal State Universities, a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology, more than 60 certificates, a Pathway to Law School, dual enrollment with K-12 districts, state championship speech & debate team and excellent athletic teams, student leadership opportunities, travel abroad experiences and more.
In collaboration with the communities in Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs, El Monte, South El Monte, Whittier, portions of Norwalk, La Mirada, Downey, La Puente, the City of Industry, Los Nietos and Avocado Heights, Río Hondo College provides an exceptional academic curriculum to meet the unique needs of our region and strengthen our communities.
Serve as primary reference source for an assigned function or area; interpret, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules, precedents and activities in conducting transactions with District personnel and the public. E
Prepare and type a variety of materials from notes, rough drafts, verbal instructions or independently; review and edit forms and other written materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance with established procedures and standards. E
Establish and maintain filing systems on a variety of technical subjects; assemble, post and file data in specialized records. E
Compile information from various sources; establish appropriate format or type on forms. E
Serve as receptionist to students, faculty and the general public; answer inquiries and furnish information requiring extensive knowledge of policies, procedures, rules and regulations. E
Receive and respond to oral and written requests for information of a specialized or confidential nature; utilize discretion and judgment in explaining regulations and procedures. E
Operate a variety of office machines including personal computer and word processing software such as Microsoft Office. E
Receive, sort, open and distribute mail. E
Serve in a lead capacity to other clerk typists; train and provide work direction to student assistants and others as assigned.
Perform related duties as assigned.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires us to identify the essential (E) duties/functions of the position. We have indicated those duties with an E on the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Policies, procedures and activities related to an assigned program or function.
- Operations of a variety of office machines including personal computer and word processing software such as Microsoft Office.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Plan, schedule and perform a variety of technical clerical duties in support of an assigned program or office.
- Operate a variety of office machines including personal computer and word processing software such as Microsoft Office.
- Complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate sound judgment in the application and interpretation of existing methods and procedures.
- Ability to type at an acceptable rate of speed, based on the requirements of the position.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Establish and maintain records and prepare reports.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proofread and compare names and numbers with speed and accuracy.
Education and Experience
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED.
- NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.