Children's Center Aide - Substitute
- Rio Hondo College
- Location: Whittier, California
Admin-Child Care Services
- Posting Date: 08/04/2021
- Application Deadline: 11/04/2021
Position TitleChildren's Center Aide - Substitute
Position TypeClassified Substitute pool
Percentage EmployeeHourly as needed
Starting DateAs soon as possible
Current Work Schedule
Salary RangeRange 1
DepartmentChild Development Center
About Rio Hondo College
Río Hondo College welcomes and embraces all students in their educational and career pathways. As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), our College has a student population of 22,000, of which 18,000 are Latinx students. We were the first college in Los Angeles County to provide two years of free tuition to first-time, full-time college students through our Río Promise program. We are proud to acknowledge that many of our students have transferred to high ranked institutions such as Harvard, Stanford, USC and UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach, and Whittier College to name a few.
Our caring and dedicated student-centered staff, faculty, and administrators are devoted to the advancement of educational justice, equity, and opportunity for all our students. Our College’s 900 employees, with close to 600 faculty, hold themselves accountable for the academic success of disproportionately impacted student populations. Our entire staff, with unwavering team collaboration, work hard to ensure our students reach their full potential by eliminating gaps in academic outcomes that traditionally hinder students of color.
Río Hondo College is committed to the recruitment of qualified and diverse employees who are dedicated to our students’ success. We recognize that diversity in an academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for our students. We are steadfast in our hiring practices and staff development processes which reinforce the goals of equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion. Our practices and processes also support the importance of a workforce that reflects the community and the diverse student population we serve.
Río Hondo College employs approximately 55% tenured track faculty of color; 60% part-time faculty of color; 85% classified staff of color; and 50% administrators of color.
Río Hondo College offers 30 associate degrees that guarantee transfer (ADTs) to Cal State Universities, a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology, more than 60 certificates, a Pathway to Law School, dual enrollment with K-12 districts, state championship speech & debate team, top-notch athletic teams, student leadership opportunities, travel abroad experiences and more.
In collaboration with the communities in Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs, El Monte, South El Monte, Whittier, portions of Norwalk, La Mirada, Downey, La Puente, the City of Industry, Los Nietos and Avocado Heights, Río Hondo College provides an exceptional academic curriculum to meet the unique needs of our region and strengthen our communities.
Provides health assistance and training to the children with toileting, hand washing and other self care tasks. E
Assists teacher and/or reports to administration any injuries a child incurs. E
Assists in supervision of children for safety in the indoor/outdoor environment including picking up children up to 50 pounds. Picks up toys, removes obstacles, prepares playdough, paint and a variety of other materials for use in the classroom. E
Sets up indoor and outdoor equipment, such as blocks, tricycles, balls, slides, pools, water tables, animal cages, up to 50 pounds. E
Reads to children. E
Assists in delivery of the nutritional program by serving food to children. E
Assists and maintains classroom cleanliness and cleanliness in other areas as necessary to continue program operation. E
Assists, maintains and cares properly for classroom pets including cleaning of cages. E
Provides encouragement and emotional support to children. Provides positive and effective interactions between colleagues, parents and children. E
Assists and maintains the naptime environment including setting up cots and necessary bedding, maintaining a quiet and restful environment, interacting with the children, and doing laundry when necessary. E
Assists the teachers in delivering assigned curriculum and in setting up the learning environment.
Other related duties as assigned.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires us to identify the essential (E) duties/functions of the position. We have indicated those duties with an E on the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
* Basic classroom safety procedures.
* Appropriate speech and behavior including conflict resolution.
* Basic theories of early childhood education.
* Developmentally appropriate practices.
* Perform routine health tasks such as toileting and hand washing.
* Practice appropriate health and safety approaches.
* Read expressively to children and explain and discuss concepts presented through reading, song, and movement.
* Assist the teachers efforts to facilitate and support emergent literacy through music, activities, creativity movement, reading, math science, and social studies.
* Model appropriate social skills and behavior.
* Provide support and guidance to young children.
* Lift 50 pounds.
Education and Experience
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
* Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
* Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
* Complete transcripts of all college/university studies, including degree earned (copies will be accepted). NOTE: Transcripts from multiple colleges/universities may need to be scanned as one document, then uploaded.
* Transcripts must include degree awarded and confer date (please circle conferral date on transcripts). Transcripts without this information and online applications without transcripts will be disqualified.
* PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
* NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
* Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
* As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
* Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
* For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
* Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
* A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
* Pass a pre-employment physical exam at the District’s expense.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.