Job Title Dean of Counseling and Student Development
Department Admissions Marketing
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to PTC students and employees is essential.
Pittsburgh Technical College is a private, non-profit and regionally accredited institution committed to higher education excellence and focused on academic and professional success. Located in Western Pennsylvania since 1946, PTC awards associate and bachelor’s degrees and certificates in these areas: Business, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Design and Engineering Technology, Healthcare, Nursing, Information Systems and Technology, Trades Technology, and Energy and Electronics Technology. The PTC college experience is empowering and culminates in internships and clinical rotations for on-campus, degree-seeking students.
Purpose of Job
The Dean of Counseling and Student Development will be accountable for establishing the first comprehensive Office of Counseling and Health and Wellness for Pittsburgh Technical College, both onsite and virtually, to support the learning and health needs of a diverse community of students.
The Dean will provide direct counseling services and cultivate a network of community resources and interagency connections to support student success and completion. The Dean must have high emotional intelligence and demonstrates skill at building and maintaining positive relationships with students, staff, and faculty and training others. The Dean will provide vital expertise to implement the First-Year Experience and develop strategies for programming in residence halls.
The person in this role will demonstrate expertise serving as the Chair for Annual Mental Health Day, serve on the President’s Diversity-Equity and Inclusion Taskforce and develop, and revise policies, procedures, and programming information needed to maintain the College’s drug and alcohol-free environment status for the continuation of federal funding.
Master’s degree or higher in counseling, social work, clinical psychology from an accredited college or university.
- At least five years’ experience in student affairs, or student development department in Higher Education
- At least five years’ experience in counseling
- Intermediate working knowledge of MSO Suite (Excel, Outlook PowerPoint, Word)
- At least five years’ counseling experience in a community college or university environment or at least five years’ counseling in a K-12 environment
- Experience with issues related to a college population, such as substance abuse, trauma, and domestic/sexual violence, eating disorders, identity issues, depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorders.
- Experience designing and implementing programs for underrepresented students to reduce barriers to seeking treatment
- Experience in budgeting and/or grants
- Experience in Supervising
- Experience working in a residential college
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage counseling services; provide direct counseling; accountable for developing community resources and referrals; oversee Service Learning; manage food and housing insecurity efforts; co-curricular programming; student clubs & organizations; compliance tracking (for vaccinations); tutoring, and student support services (including students with diverse needs).
- Leading the team in both individual and shared goals within the framework of a “students first” approach is an essential component to this role, as is developing and implementing a comprehensive plan for programming and educational outreach.
- Effective use of data to guide the department’s work and provide the community with regular updates is essential.
- Will be dedicated to creating an inclusive and equitable experience for students working through mental health difficulties that impact other aspects of their lives including academic success.
- Operates utilizing clear standards and regulations, adheres to FERPA and to the ethical, legal, and policy standards of practice related to providing mental health services.
- Works with campus departments for the purposes of crisis stabilization.
- Provides training and presentations to students, staff, and faculty regarding mental health concerns, education, and issues.
- Stays up to date on best practices with peer institutions, develops and implements data-driven, innovative programming, and creates yearly plans for educating the community and providing outreach beyond individual counseling.
- Retention support to remove obstacles that interfere with students’ ability to progress to completion.
- Training in all working processes of utilization review and provides referral to outside services needed.
- This position will also assist in managing contracted employees (nurses and counselors) as well as assisting with assessment and providing disability related accommodations and support services for students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Student Development theories in support of student services.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated sensitivity to confidentiality, diversity, and multicultural issues,
- Knowledge of current counseling practices, theories, and research in college student services.
- Knowledge of and adherence to applicable professional ethics and board rules, federal, state, and local.
- Knowledge of laws, regulatory codes, ordinance, legislative changes, and procedures relevant to assigned programs.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to build rapport to establish collaborative relationships with healthcare facilities to provide resources and services to students.
- Knowledge of community services as needed to help ensure students meet graduation requirements,
- Ability to provide assessments, utilization review and oversight of Health and Wellness Services
- Ability to provide consultation, explore, develop, and implement grant-related programming, both in practice and development.
- Ability to develop internal and community partnerships with other areas of the College to extend resources to students, offer programming, and cultivate referral sources that can have a positive impact on students.
- Ability to develop and facilitate regular workshops, seminars, and information sessions within the nonprofit environment to ensure student population is regularly informed wrap around services at PTC and partnering healthcare facilities.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of student information and work-related information and materials such as Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Healthy Insurance
- Ability to design and implement training and specialized workshops for faculty staff and students.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Other Job Information
Must pass a criminal background check before starting position.
BENEFIT ELIGIBLE: Yes
TRAVEL: minimal local travel, as needed
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT:
PTC is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all positions. PTC believes that the gathering and celebration of unique experiences, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace. Our mission is to champion a community of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in a spirit of civility.
Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or veteran status. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), PTC does not discriminate against applicants, employees, or students with qualifying disabilities. PTC will provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with a disability. To request reasonable accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Typical hours are Monday through Friday – 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. (Attendance at special events such as graduation, orientation, open house, the first day of class, and other events may occur in the evening or on weekends).
- Equipment used includes desktop or laptop with Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone, and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work generally performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Starting Pay Rate Competitive salary
Job Category Staff
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
Posting Number S080P
Job Open Date 08/26/2021
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions Summary
Please answer all of application questions. An application is considered incomplete, if you do not respond to the question.
Please include your minimum salary expectations in your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you have at least five years’ experience in counseling?
* Do you have a Master’s degree or higher in counseling, social work, clinical psychology from an accredited college or university?
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have at least five years’ experience in student affairs, or student development department in Higher Education?
* Do you have intermediate-level proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel)?
* What is your minimum salary requirement for this position?
(Open Ended Question)
* How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
Public Job Posting
Internal Job Posting
Do you have a minimum of two years immersed in social media, preferably in a higher education environment; will consider internships or other relevant experience?
Do you have a minimum of four years of professional communications experience?
If selected for an interview, are you comfortable preparing a presentation as part of your interview?
What kinds of social media publishing tools are you proficient in using?
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have a minimum of two years leading social media for an education institution, company, or business?
Documents Needed to Apply
Letter of Recommendation