Cashier - Bus Services (Temporary Short Term Hourly)
- Antelope Valley College
- Location: Lancaster, California
- Posting Date: 09/02/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Under the direction of the Manager, Fiscal Services, receive, classify, total, balance, receipt and post monies to the appropriate district accounts, interact with students regarding fees and perform a variety of clerical and related duties.
- REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES
E = indicates essential duties of the position
- Perform high volume cashiering and other duties associated with student payments of cash, checks, and credit cards and prepare balancing reports as required. E
- Access student records using a computer terminal; receive monies and enter appropriate data; clear holds on student transcripts. E
- Perform audit and reconciliation of discrepancies in student accounts. E
- Distribute or mail financial aid checks, bills and parking passes. E
- Provide information and assistance in person and on the telephone. E
- File records and documents related to work performed. E
- Assist other personnel in the preparation and maintenance of procedures. E
- Train and provide work direction and guidance to temporary hourly cashiers as needed. E
- Maintain a variety of files, records and calendars related to assigned activities; maintain office supplies inventory; type a variety of forms and records and perform general clerical duties as needed. E
- Communicate effectively in person and on the phone to establish and maintain effective working relationships with persons contacted in the course of performing assigned duties. E
- Perform related duties as assigned. E
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and two years of responsible clerical accounting experience including at least one year of cashiering experience.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Basic bookkeeping methods and practices.
Rules, regulations and policies governing the safe handling of cash.
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Handle all information following District privacy and confidentiality policies.
Demonstrate currency of knowledge with computers and other forms of technology utilized
in providing high quality services.
Manage time effectively and handle workload in an accurate and efficient manner.
Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Apply knowledge of modern office machines and equipment including adding machine,
fax and copy machine and computer.
Type with speed and accuracy, make quick and accurate mathematical calculations, verify,
balance and adjust student accounts.
Utilize a variety of computer software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database and other
business-related software, specifically Microsoft Excel and Word.
Advise and interact effectively with students and staff.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Not applicable – no permanent full-time staff to supervise. May train and direct hourly cashiers.
CONTACTS: Students, other departmental personnel, and the general public.
Constant interruptions and frequent interaction with students, staff and the public.
Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
Light lifting of materials.
Reaching to file and retrieve records.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and cash register.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to have all the requested documents submitted through NEOGOV by the deadline date in order to continue in the application process for this position.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS - PLEASE READ
- Each recruitment is conducted independent from others; therefore, interested parties need to submit separate complete application packages for each position they apply.
- It is important the applicants submit ALL documents requested for the application package to be deemed complete and given consideration.
- This includes, but is not limited to, submitting transcripts for all college coursework or degrees when requested to do so within a job announcement.
- All out of the country transcripts must be evaluated prior to submitting them with applications.
- Any evaluation service member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES) http://www.naces.org/ is acceptable.
- If letters of recommendation are required, letters must be current within two years, signed and dated from individuals having knowledge of your professional experience.
- Typing certifications must be current within one year and must include name, date and net words per minute (NWP).
- For those disciplines with established Academic Senate’s approved equivalency: complete the Supplemental Equivalence Request form (If applicant is applying based on an equivalency and is requesting review)
- Applicants may be subject to passing an examination (written/technical), as appropriate to the requirements of the position.
- Residency within a reasonable geographical area of the college may be necessary.
- Travel expenses for pre-employment interviews and employment processing will not be authorized.
If you have, any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Human Resources Office.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Antelope Valley College prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, or sexual orientation. Upon request, we will consider reasonable accommodations to permit individuals with protected disabilities to (a) complete the employment or admission process, (b) perform essential job functions, (c) enjoy benefits and privileges of similarly-situated individuals without disabilities, and (d) participate in instruction, programs, services, activities, or events.
Annual Security Report is provided by Antelope Valley College for prospective students and employees. A copy of this report is available at http://www.avc.edu/administration/police/