Assistant to Preschool Instructo
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Faculty-Education-Teacher Education - Early Childhood
- Posting Date: 09/09/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Date: September 9, 2021
Position Title: Assistant to Preschool Instructor
Department: Early Childhood Learning Laboratory
Job ID: 1208
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 hours/40 weeks
Compensation: Meet and Confer – Grade 11, $18.66 per hour
Reports to: Director, Early Childhood Learning Laboratory
Posting Close Date: September 23, 2021
The Assistant Instructor works collaboratively with the Lead Instructor to develop and maintain a classroom that provides a safe and enriching learning environment for children. The Assistant Instructor models appropriate teaching and care-giving and offers students assistance as needed. The Assistant Instructor further works to oversee and manage classroom operations to allow the Lead Instructor to focus on coaching, mentoring and evaluating college students during their scheduled lab time.
Essential Job Functions
● Plan and implement a curriculum that enhances the physical, intellectual, emotional and social development of each child. Lesson plans must meet accreditation and TQRIS standards, as well as incorporate Teaching Strategies learning objectives.
● Provide enriching learning experiences and care to assigned primary and/or small group children.
● Maintain a healthy and safe classroom as defined by licensing, accreditation and TQRIS standards.
● Establish supportive relationships with families, maintaining daily communication and collaborating to promote the well-being of each child and their classroom success.
● Responsible for coordination and completion of family conferences and home visits.
● Work collaboratively with lead instructor to organize, coordinate and implement family and/or staff engagements.
● Attend family and staff extra-curricular engagements.
● Assess children’s development utilizing COR Advantage; providing data input and completing assigned checkpoints.
● Implement screening tool on children.
● Collaborate with classroom staff to complete weekly classroom team meetings, providing input and responses
to evaluate and promote children’s development, classroom curriculum, document meetings and classroom activity.
● Ensure that classroom paperwork and materials incorporate all children and are current. (Cubbies, mailboxes, cots, name charts, etc.).
● Model appropriate and current best practice teaching strategies, curriculum and caregiving for lab students in
● Complete a minimum of 24 hours of early childhood professional development per year in the MiRegistry
● Compose, display and maintain informative classroom documentation, including newsletters, family boards,
project approach and required classroom paperwork as required to meet NAEYC and PQA standards.
● Work collaboratively with all preschool and education department staff to meet program goals.
● Assist in the evaluation of CD-118 (Human Growth and Development) students as needed under the direction of
● Collaborate with Preschool to maintain essential classroom coverage ratios, having flexibility to assist other
classrooms as needed.
● Assist in preparing classroom environment and materials so students can implement their assignments.
● Answer questions and offer support for students as needed.
● Collaborate with classroom team members to plan and place appropriate learning materials in each assigned
learning domain. Materials must be labeled appropriately based upon PQA standards and changed based upon
children’s interest and/or classroom guidelines.
● Assist instructors to accommodate student make-ups.
● Provide consistent, clear and timely communication with office staff in regards to child absences, change of
schedule and other pertinent information.
● Work collaboratively with other preschool staff to plan and implement smooth transitions for children who are
transitioning into new classrooms.
● Responsible for establishing, maintaining and implementing Allergy and Asthma Action plans.
● An awareness of appropriate childcare food program practices and ability to implement these in the classroom.
● Willing to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings.
● Acquire and maintain DHS clearance letter.
● Acquire and maintain Comprehensive Background Check through the state of Michigan
● Maintain CPR and First Aid Certification.
● Acquire and maintain TB test and physical.
● Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customer
functions of this position.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or related discipline required.
● Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or related discipline preferred.
● National Career Readiness Certificate preferred but not required.
● Two (2) years working in diverse early childhood settings required; Three (3) years preferred.
● The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based
● Information Skills
● Getting Information
● Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
● Interacting With Computers
● Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
● Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
● Documenting/Recording Information
● Processing Information
● Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
● Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
● Performing Administrative Activities
● Making Decisions and Solving Problems
● Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
● Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
● Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
● Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
● Ability to work with diverse populations.
● Commitment to the well-being of each and every child attending preschool.
● Strong commitment to innovation and current best practices in the child development field.
● Ability to lift and move 50 lbs.
● Must be able to engage with children on floor level for long periods of time.
● Must be able to walk a long distance.
● Must be able to kneel, squat, sit on the floor and get back up.
● An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
● An interest in working with diverse populations who represent a wide range of ages, ethnicities, national origins and abilities.
● Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimal supervision.
● High energy level.
● Sense of humor.
● Ability to work in a very active and loud environment, addressing multiple needs accordingly.
● Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and appropriate manner.
● Project a professional image.
● Must possess the personality and enthusiasm to work with children, students and college staff.
● Must be self-motivated and resourceful, demonstrating initiative to complete assigned tasks according to
standards in a timely manner.
● Proficient in software applications (Word, Publisher) and other relevant technology applications such as TS Gold
and School Chapters.
● Ability to work collaboratively with classroom team members.
● Ability to perform functions of the job efficiently and effectively in stressful situations.
● Must be able to go outside in the winter if the wind chill is 10 degrees or higher and must be able to go out in
the summer if the temperature is 90 degrees or below.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs.
Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on September
23, 2021 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is
an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and
dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities
regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all
programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or
compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC
programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and
eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will
not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an
investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick
Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.