Vernon Campus - Library - Classified II Administrative Assistant - Circulation - Half time position
- Vernon College
- Location: Vernon, Texas
- Posting Date: 09/21/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Duties and Responsibilities: The Administrative Assistant, Classified II, Circulation, is responsible to the Director of Library Services.
Specific duties include:
1. To supervise circulation of library materials.
2. Keep circulation statistics; i.e., prepare and archive monthly and yearly circulation reports.
3. Send out reminders of overdue books.
4. Assess and collect fines.
5. To assist with holds on student records.
6. Initiate student holds and notify appropriate offices.
7. Help maintain records of holds.
8. To assist patrons in locating and using print/electronic informational resources.
9. Provide assistance in person, by phone, and online via the library’s virtual technologies.
10. To open and close the building as assigned.
11. To perform basic shelf maintenance.
12. Shelve books and materials.
13. Straighten shelves.
14. Read the shelves.
15. To answer the phone and direct calls.
16. To assist with the maintenance of library computers, copy machines, and printers.
17. To assist with inventory.
18. To attend library related meetings, workshops, and in-services programs.
19. To assist students in using software applications (MS Office) and in accessing databases and campus-wide informational systems including Campus Connect and Blackboard.
20. To administer and keep current records of Complimentary and Community library patrons.
21. Enter and delete patrons in computer system; prepare library cards.
22. Notify patrons of expiration procedures and options.
23. Coordinate monetary transactions (deposits, refunds, donations) with Business Office.
24. Assist in the distribution and tabulation of library surveys.
25. Assist in the processing of ILL requests.
26. Maintain TexShare card statistics and monitor overdue TexShare accounts.
27. Perform clerical duties as assigned or needed.
28. Assist in the processing of library brochures or other informational materials.
29. Perform other assignments made by the Director of Library Services, Vice-President of Instructional Services, and/or the President.
Travel Required: Limited amount of travel is required.
Experience and Training: Experience working with the public in a library, clerical, or comparable setting.
Education: High school diploma or GED; Associate Degree or higher preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Applicants should 1) Have a good oral and written communication skills and a customer service oriented approach to assisting patrons; 2) have general computer knowledge and experience in using Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel; 3) Be punctual, reliable, and able to work well independently as well as collaboratively in a team setting; 4) Maintain a professional attitude and demeanor.
Preferred Qualifications: Associate Degree or higher preferred; Experience in searching online information sources.
Minimum Educational Qualifications: High school diploma, GED
Maximum Educational Qualifications: N/A
Salary or Salary Range: This is a 1/2 time position. The salary is $11,473. Applications will be accepted until position filled.
This is a security-sensitive position and is subject to a criminal history record. Criminal history records will be used only for the purpose of evaluating applicants for employment in security-sensitive positions. (Texas Government Code 411.094 & Texas Education Code 51.215)