Computer Science Instructor
- Turtle Mountain Community College
- Location: Belcourt, North Dakota
- Posting Date: 09/22/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Title: Computer Science Instructor
Contract Term: 9 month Academic Year
Accountable To: Academic Dean
Salary: $57,315 (minimum)
Summary of Position: Provide post-secondary, learner-centered instruction in Computer Science in accordance with the TMCC Mission Statement. Encourage a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility, life-long learning, as well as personal and professional development.
The responsibilities of a full-time faculty member are divided into the four categories: teaching, advising, service and scholarship to the College and the community.
TEACHING & ADVISING
The key purpose of the College and therefore of faculty, is instruction. Enabling students to fulfill their total personal, intellectual, and vocational objectives constitute the heart of faculty responsibility.
• Classroom and laboratory preparation, learner centered instruction and supervision of students.
• Measurement of student performance including the preparation, administration, grading and evaluation of student coursework, and the reporting of grades in a timely manner.
• Coordination and assessment of academic courses and programs. Continuous research and implementation of effective teaching methods and materials.
• Develop and follow an Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP).
• Development of new courses and programs of study.
• Periodic evaluation of library holdings and recommendations of books.
• Implementation and participation in service learning/community service project(s). Community instruction such as preparation and presentation of College course work off-campus, workshop, seminars, and in-service for professionals and others.
• Post schedules and maintain office hours.
• Providing educational guidance and assistance for students by planning schedules, recommending courses and determining appropriate education solutions
• Other tasks as needed.
SERVICE & SCHOLARSHIP
• Service on departmental, self-study or institutional committees.
• Participation in College sponsored activities such as recruiting students, graduation activities, and other planned activities and meetings.
• Coordination, advisement, and supervision of student activities, organizations and clubs directly related to the academic programs or supplemental to academic programs.
• Development, implementation and sharing of results of college and/or community service learningprojects.
• Initiation and/or participation in civic engagement activities.
• Participate in faculty development initiatives.
• Ongoing research that leads to the discovery of new knowledge, proficiency and growth in one’sfield.
• Writing proposal for research, publication and dissemination of scholarly writing.
• Serve as a peer reviewer for scholarly writing.
• Holding office or membership in professional organizations.
• Attending and participating in meetings, conferences and conventions of professional associations.
• Other tasks as needed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Master of Science degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or closely related field with at least 18 graduate credits in Computer Science.
• Willingness and ability to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations, as necessary.
• Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that tribal community colleges serve in higher education and specifically its mission, values, goals, culture, and objectives of the Turtle Mountain Community College.
• Experience in curriculum development.
• A minimum of three years of teaching experience in Post-Secondary education.
• Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers, audio-visual equipment, other relevant technology and software.
• Ability to competently advise and/or serve students from a variety of background, respecting cultural and socio-economic differences.
• Able to implement contemporary educational philosophies, methods, and techniques including multi-media to develop and deliver instruction in classroom and lab settings.
• Successful teaching experience with culturally and academically diverse student population.
• Ability to teach and work with students with learning disabilities.
• Demonstrated commitment to professional development