Century City Center- Cosmetology Instructor
- Vernon College
- Location: Vernon, Texas
Faculty-Vocational & Technical-Cosmetology
- Posting Date: 10/12/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Description of Duties: Each instructor is responsible to his/her Division Chair, Director, or Coordinator and then to the Vice-President of Instructional Services. All instructor duties with regard to teaching Cosmetology student at Century City Center- Wichita Falls, TX; managing Cosmetology clientele.
Specific duties include:
1. Serve as content area expert and through appropriate pedagogical approaches, conduct safe, engaging, and effective learning activities which foster student achievement of the stated course, program, and institutional outcomes.
2. Prepare, organize and present instructional material at scheduled times and places in accordance with the College catalog descriptions, course syllabi and outlines, stated delivery mode (F2F, ITV, online), and class schedule.
3. Participate in normal program/discipline administrative and maintenance activities including curriculum development and review for continuous improvement of courses, disciplines, and programs to meet the needs of both on-site and distance education students.
4. Prepare syllabi containing Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approved outcomes for each course taught and update them on an annual basis through an evaluation of student achievement and input from students, advisory committees, professional associations, and other external sources (ACGM, WECM, GIPWE, etc).
5. Maintain accurate records of program/discipline majors, student attendance, student progress, grade distributions, and equipment and supplies.
6. Maintain accurate records of applicable student retention, completion, graduation, licensure, placement, and transfer rates for program/discipline majors.
7. Maintain discipline and order during instructional activities.
8. Participate in professional development activities, conferences, workshops, etc. which enhance subject matter expertise and professional growth, and improves instructional effectiveness.
9. Communicate through appropriate channels (Division Chair, Director, Coordinator, Vice President of Instructional Services, and the President) in relating dissatisfaction or making positive suggestions.
10. Participate in policy making through service on task forces or committees as appointed or elected.
11. Cooperate with other VC personnel in improving and promoting the image of the program and the College through active participation in recruiting, public relations, and marketing activities.
12. Participate in the academic advising of students and other College initiatives aimed at increasing student success as measured by retention, completion, graduation, licensure, placement and transfer rates.
13. Participate in graduation, honors convocation, and special campus events.
14. Maintain scheduled office hours.
15. Organize and facilitate program advisory committee meetings where appropriate; work with the members of the committee to ensure that the program has adequate resources and a well-designed curriculum to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential for employment.
16. Coordinate, with the Director of Library Services, the selection and maintenance of appropriate discipline/program specific library materials.
17. Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the appropriate instructional administrator and the College President.
18. Along with these duties and responsibilities, the instructor has the authority to do the following (non-evaluation items): A. Suspend a student for one class period for disruptive behavior. B. Evaluate the progress and performance of the student and assign grades. C. Enforce the College's policies and procedures and the safety regulations of the discipline/program. E. Recommend a student for counseling. F. Initiate requisitions and work order requests. G. Suspend unsafe operations.
Travel Required: Minimal
Experience and Training: Minimum 3 years of teaching experience, current Cosmetology Instructor license.
Education: Current Cosmetology Instructor license in the state of Texas
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Proven/demonstrated leadership ability and work ethic. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Detail/task oriented with strong organizational and time management skills. Knowledge of methods of instruction, testing, and evaluation of students. Ability to foster and grow partnerships with external stakeholders. Commitment to the concepts of responsibility, accountability and continuous program improvement.
Salary or Salary Range: This is a 12 month faculty position with full Vernon College benefits. The salary range is $47,693 - $54,664 depending on education and experience. Applications will be accepted until filled and this position is available immediately.
This is a security-sensitive position and is subject to a criminal history record. Criminal history records will be used only for the purpose of evaluating applicants for employment in security-sensitive positions. (Texas Government Code 411.094 & Texas Education Code 51.215)