Teaching Assistant- Physics
- Odessa College
- Location: Odessa, Texas
- Posting Date: 10/19/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Working Title Teaching Assistant- Physics
Position Status Full Time
Department School of Liberal Arts and Education
As part of the Odessa College Teaching Assistant program, an individual will gain valuable teaching experience through Professional Development and Training and the opportunity to observe and be mentored by an Odessa College faculty member. Upon recommendation from Instructional Leadership, a Teaching Assistant can be recommended for a permanent teaching position at Odessa College. The program will help graduate students and individuals new to teaching at the postsecondary level develop as community college instructors, providing them with the opportunity to learn about Odessa College’s vision and culture and help transform students’ lives. Qualified candidates will provide quality supplemental instructional classroom facilitation and assist the faculty in courses, along with an opportunity to teach for at least one academic year.
Specific Position Duties
· Coordinate with students, faculty and Department Chair on the facilitation of instruction for students in disciplined-specific courses.
· Provide classroom facilitation and support for face-to-face or online (synchronous or asynchronous) using Blackboard and other college approved virtual platforms for distance learning students.
· Maintain a physical/virtual presence that promotes high engagement, communication and collaboration among students and faculty to improve the performance of dual credit students in a given course or subject.
· Communicate with faculty concerning students’ needs and progress and coordinate intervention services to improve student success.
· Facilitate positive communication and provide updates to faculty keeping them informed of a student’s progress in the course.
· Maintain accurate referral, registration, and attendance records, and assist with feedback on graded exams and assignments, and evaluate student’s progress.
· Promote high standards for academic success and achievement and continually encourage students to maximize their potential.
· Help familiarize students with basic use of Blackboard, OC email, OC website, and campus support resources. Also, help students keep track of important dates in the course such as assignment and exam dates.
· Maintain consistent communication with the instructor/and students. Check OC email daily and be able to respond to student emails within 48 hours or sooner. Respond to emails from instructor as soon as possible.
· Maintain an active role in course discussion, include participating with students during activities, talking with students during discussions and maintain the main tenets of Odessa College 4 Commitments.
· The Teaching Fellow is to assist in teaching college level content, and maintain the integrity of the course.
· The Teaching Fellow is to follow the guidelines set by the instructor of record when providing assistance to students.
· The Teaching Fellow must maintain student support hours, and arrive or be present in assigned class prior to class starting to assist instructor with any activities, labs, set-up or additional help, etc.).
· Provide students with useful feedback on their assignments, including helping students with what they can improve upon and where they did well.
· Participate in team teaching or individual teaching environment
· Assist students with content mastery and the expectation is to help students with class assignments, and help to provide or direct students to available resources for the class.
· Inform students of important dates: due dates, drop dates, test dates, etc.
· Coach students on going to college and college expectations. Students need to understand what a syllabus is, how many grades they will have, makeup work policies, etc.
Professional and College Participation
· Engage in Professional Learning Center professional development activities (webinars, in-person or conferences)
· Meet and participate in various discipline, departmental and college-wide activities
· Utilize and apply the knowledge from professional development in order to improve instructional practices in the classroom
Transfer Courses—Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a field relating to the major areas of assigned instructional duties.
Demonstrated ability to teach students from a wide spectrum of ages and from diverse cultural and social backgrounds, including high school students who are enrolled in dual credit classes; excellent communication and presentation skills; Excellent work ethic; Commitment to teaching excellence
Posting Number F00106P
Job Open Date 10/15/2021
Special Instructions Summary
Quick Link for Internal Postings https://jobs.odessa.edu/postings/5383