Police Officer (Part-time
- H. Councill Trenholm State Community College
- Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Admin-Police and Public Safety
- Posting Date: 10/20/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: Provide for the safety and well-being of the faculty, staff, students, and visitors. Provide a secure environment through crime prevention and control, criminal investigation, traffic and parking supervision, disaster coordination, maintenance of public order and other related
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION, DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide foot and vehicular patrol of the campus.
2. Respond to and investigate all incidents on campus including but not limited to motor vehicle accidents or criminal or college violations.
3. Conduct complex misdemeanor investigations including but not limited to interviewing victims, suspects and offenders, preparing photo lineups, collecting evidence and preparing case files.
4. Provide security to college community, as requested, including but not limited to escorting personnel to vehicles late at night or acting as a witness at meetings involving potentially irate personnel or students.
5. Enforce criminal and traffic laws, making arrests, and issuing summons as required.
6. Secure college buildings.
7. Issue tickets for parking violations.
8. Complete detailed incident reports.
9. Monitor authorized student activities for adherence to college policies.
10. Lock and unlock offices and buildings as requested.
11. Transport mail to post office when requested by administration.
12. Transport bank deposits for college business office.
13. Make electronic emergency notifications to campus community.
14. Escort dignitaries and provide executive security.
15. Detect and report hazardous conditions including but not limited to potholes, light outages, obstructions, etc.
16. Complete twelve hours of continuing education annually as required by APOST and other training as designated by the Chief of Police.
17. Lend security support to all campus as requested.
18. Must be available to work all shifts including day, evening, night and weekends.
19. Issue parking decals and student identifications.
20. Collect and maintain lost and found property.
21. Appear in court and testify as required.
22. Maintain Daily Crime Log and assist with Annual Security Report
23. Assist with providing training to faculty and staff concerning security related issues.
24. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Police.
1. Respond to fire alarms and advise fire department when necessary.
2. Administer emergency first aid/CPR.
3. Open car doors, if possible, when keys have been locked inside.
4. Assist in starting vehicles with weak batteries.
5. Assist motorist with flat tires.
6. Collect, document and secure lost-and-found property.
7. Deliver messages to people who cannot be reached by phone or radio.
8. Transport the mail and cash receipts to designated “on and off” campus locations.
9. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
10. Perform monthly inspections of fire extinguishers.
11. Conduct light surveys when requested.
1. High School or GED Diploma
2. One - year equivalent work experience.
3. Current Alabama driver’s license.
4. APOST certification.
1. Associate Degree preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Knowledge of city, state, and federal laws.
2. Ability to deal effectively with the public in emergency situations.
3. Knowledge of first aid/CPR.
4. Good verbal and written communications skills.
5. Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
6. Ability to pass the weapons qualification requirement (APOST).
7. Ability to adapt to a work schedule rotation.
8. Ability to obtain NCIC certification
SALARY: Salary range is $15.00 to $22.00 based on qualifications and experience. Maximum
19 hours per week.
Vacancy Announcements and Employment Applications are available at www.trenholmstate.edu and by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (334) 420-4442 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Application materials may be delivered to the Office of Human Resources, Room A102 of the Administration Building on the Trenholm Campus, or submitted via U.S. mail to the following address: Trenholm State Community College, Office of Human resources, P.O. Box 10048, Montgomery, AL 36108.
Applications currently on file must be resubmitted for this position. If you are applying for more than one position, submit a complete packet for each position. Once submitted, all application packets become the property of Trenholm State. The submission of all application materials (an application packet) to the Office of Human Resources by the application deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. Delinquent, e-mailed, and unsigned application packets/documents will not be accepted. Only complete application packets will be considered.
A completed application packet consists of:
✓ A completed official College employment application; “See resume or attached” will not be accepted.
✓ A current résumé.
✓ Three (3) signed letters of reference; font-typed signatures are not acceptable.
✓ Copies of all relevant transcripts. Transcripts copies must show the identification of the institution, the identification of the applicant, and verify that the applicant has received the minimum degreere quirements as stated in the “Required Qualifications” section. The person chosen to fill the position is
required to furnish official transcripts prior to the completion of the first semester of employment
*As a condition of the employment offer, the applicant chosen to fill the position will be required to submit letters of verification from previous or current employer verifying the work experience stated in the “Required Qualifications” section. The letters of verification must include the applicant’s beginning and ending dates of employment, employment title, and indicate if the employment was full or part time. Applicants who fail to submit a complete application packet will not be considered.
Applicants must adhere to the College's prescribed interview schedule and must travel at their own expense. Trenholm State Community College reserves the right to withdraw any job announcement at any time prior to the
More than one position in the same job classification may be filled from the applicants for this position should another vacancy occur during the search process.
In accordance with Alabama Community College System policy and procedures, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form and to submit a nonrefundable fee of $17.40 (additional charges may apply) for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from the criminal background check. Trenholm State Community College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-verify). E-verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
It is the policy of the Alabama Community College System, including all postsecondary community and technical colleges under the control of the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees, that no employee or applicant for employment or promotion, on the basis of any impermissible criterion or characteristic including, without limitation, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, disability, sex, age, or any other protected class as defined by federal and state law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Trenholm State will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees). Trenholm State Community College is an equal opportunity employer.