Dean of Student Retention and Completion
- Trinidad State College
- Location: Trinidad, Colorado
- Posting Date: 10/22/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
POSITION TITLE: Dean of Student Retention and Completion
POSITION #: 100295
POSITION STATUS: Full-Time FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Vice President Student Affairs
SUPERVISES: Student Life Staff
CAMPUS: Trinidad Campus
The Dean of Student Recruitment and Completion (DRC) position at Trinidad State College (TSC) is a full-time (12 month), on campus professional position that carries responsibility for administering and supervising student life, student government, student conduct and student retention programming. The Dean will provide inclusive, growth-mindset leadership, innovative vision and a commitment to retention programs as well as the centennial goals of the college. In addition, the Dean will act as the senior student conduct advisor, overseeing the student conduct processes. A creative problem solver and collaborator, the ideal candidate will create a
positive and engaged culture. The position is located on the Trinidad Campus but serves the entire institution.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include an institutional approach to oversee and develop comprehensive retention programming involving social and educational student development. This will be accomplished through the following duties:
• Create, attend, support and promote Student Activities. Ensure promotions for programs and activities are posted/advertised in a timely manner. Infuse student development, prevention programming and compliance requirements into activities.
• Develop data driven retention strategies to serve student populations on both campuses.
• Promote and enforce a secure environment. Work closely with security to coordinate security coverage at events.
• Maintain records and develop the Annual Security Report and Biennial Drug Free Schools reports for the institution.
• Maintain daily office hours and offer a high degree of availability and visibility for all students.
• Oversee and support the distribution of records including student activities, SGA meetings, agendas and minutes.
• Serve as the Senior Student Affairs Officer overseeing the Student Code of Conduct process. Enforce college and departmental policies and regulations in alignment with TSC guidelines.
• Work with the Residence Hall Director to update the Residence Life Handbook annually.
• Serve as a member of the Behavioral Intervention Team. Advise, counsel, follow up and make student referrals as needed.
• Develop and maintain budgets by preparing spending plan and recording all expenditures for activities, events and programming in coordination with supervisor.
• Lead and support college retention initiatives including but not limited to new student orientation, online orientation, welcome week, online tutoring, academic support, end of year programs and graduation, Student Life and prevention programming. Participate and lead activities on both campuses.
• Serve as an institutional advisor. Focus on serving undeclared students and/or students that do not quality for grant support.
• Create collaborative relationships with other departments and college personnel.
• Participate in assessment and continuous improvement in activities and reporting. Oversee the assessment and effectiveness of student life, activities and community programs.
• Develop relationships with students to help them be successful at TSC
• Supervise and support the Student Life coordination of athletic game day, pregame and half-time
• Oversee the TSC Mascot on both campuses.
• Supervise updates to the TSC website regarding Student Life, Student Activities, and SGA
• Maintain database of current students. Identify and target communication for different student groups.
• Leader with the Early Alert team. Design and distribute communications to support and retain students.
• Implements, maintains and reports data to evaluate the progress of students from outreach through enrollment.
• Collaborates with Financial Aid, Advising and other Student Services Departments in order to maximize efforts and meet retention and enrollment goals.
• Maintains knowledge of best practices, new developments and innovative enrollment strategies in community colleges and higher education; recommends changes to maintain relevance of programs and services to meet student and institutional needs.
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s Degree field from a regionally accredited institution
• Experience in higher education
• Willing to travel and serve both campuses of the institution
• Supervisor experience
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The successful candidate must submit to and successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment background check. This position has been identified by the U.S. Department of Education as a Campus Security Authority. As a Campus Security Authority, the incumbent in this position is required to report crimes that they become aware of to the Vice President of Student Services or Human Resources Department at Trinidad State College.
Salary is $60,000 - $62,000 based on experience. This position is a full-time, 12-month appointment with a full benefit package including health, dental, vision, and retirement.
For consideration, an applicant must submit the following:
• A letter addressing the professional qualifications listed in the position description
• A current resume or a current curriculum vitae
• Unofficial Transcripts (of highest education attained)
• The names and telephone numbers of at least three (3) references from persons in a position to evaluate the applicant's expertise as it relates to the position requirements.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Travel and/or relocation expenses are the responsibility of the candidate and are not reimbursed by the College.
Application screening will begin immediately and only the most qualified candidates will receive further consideration. This position will remain open until filled.
SUBMIT ABOVE APPLICATION MATERIALS TO
TSC Search Committee: Dean of Student Retention and Completion
ATTN: Yvette Atencio, Director of Human Resources
600 Prospect Street, Campus Box 181
Trinidad, CO 81082
Fax: (719) 846-5067 (direct fax, does not require cover sheet)
Yvette Atencio, Human Resources Director – (800) 621-8752, ext. 5538 or 719-846-5538
Kerry Gabrielson, Vice President Student Affairs – (800) 621-8752, ext. 5643 or 719-846-5643
Notice of Non-Discrimination
Trinidad State College prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including those that violate federal and state law, or the State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education Board Policies 3-120 or 4-120. Individuals affiliated with the College shall not be subjected to unlawful discrimination and/or harassment on the basis of sex/gender, race, color, age, creed, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status,
pregnancy status, religion, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected category under applicable local, state, or federal law (also known as “civil rights laws”), including protections against retaliation and for those opposing discrimination or participating in any grievance process on campus or within the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or other human rights agencies, in its employment practices or educational programs and