Director of Accounting
- Rio Hondo College
- Location: Whittier, California
Admin-Business And Financial Management
- Posting Date: 11/29/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position TitleDirector of Accounting
Position TypeClassified Administrator
Number of Months Assignment12
Starting DateAs soon as possible
Current Work Schedule
DepartmentFinance and Business (Dept)
Initial Screening Date12/29/2021
Open Until FilledNo
About Rio Hondo College
Río Hondo College welcomes and embraces all students in their educational and career pathways. As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), our College has a student population of 22,000, of which 18,000 are Latinx students. We were the first college in Los Angeles County to provide two years of free tuition to first-time, full-time college students through our Río Promise program. We are proud to acknowledge that many of our students have transferred to high ranked institutions such as Harvard, Stanford, USC and UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach, and Whittier College to name a few.
Our caring and dedicated student-centered staff, faculty, and administrators are devoted to the advancement of educational justice, equity, and opportunity for all our students. Our College’s 900 employees, with close to 600 faculty, hold themselves accountable for the academic success of disproportionately impacted student populations. Our entire staff, with unwavering team collaboration, work hard to ensure our students reach their full potential by eliminating gaps in academic outcomes that traditionally hinder students of color.
Río Hondo College is committed to the recruitment of qualified and diverse employees who are dedicated to our students’ success. We recognize that diversity in an academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for our students. We are steadfast in our hiring practices and staff development processes which reinforce the goals of equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion. Our practices and processes also support the importance of a workforce that reflects the community and the diverse student population we serve.
Río Hondo College employs approximately 55% tenured track faculty of color; 60% part-time faculty of color; 85% classified staff of color; and 50% administrators of color.
Río Hondo College offers 30 associate degrees that guarantee transfer (ADTs) to Cal State Universities, a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology, more than 60 certificates, a Pathway to Law School, dual enrollment with K-12 districts, state championship speech & debate team, top-notch athletic teams, student leadership opportunities, travel abroad experiences and more.
In collaboration with the communities in Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs, El Monte, South El Monte, Whittier, portions of Norwalk, La Mirada, Downey, La Puente, the City of Industry, Los Nietos and Avocado Heights, Río Hondo College provides an exceptional academic curriculum to meet the unique needs of our region and strengthen our communities.
- Possession of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting or a related field. A Master’s degree is desirable.
- Three years of responsible and managerial professional accounting experience preferably in an education institute.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties:
- Provide leadership and direction and assume full management responsibility for Accounting Department services and activities.
- Manage the development and implementation of Accounting Department goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; establish, within District policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; allocate resources accordingly.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal and external reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct the implementation of changes.
- Evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of controls for ensuring the safeguards of assets, compliance with internal policies and external/regulatory compliance requirements, reliability of financial and operational reports, economic and efficient use of resources, and the deterrence/detection of fraud.
- Plan and execute internal audits in a thorough and timely manner consistent with the department and the District.
- Participate in a variety of special projects including fraud investigations.
- Represent the Accounting Department to outside agencies; explain and interpret Accounting Department programs, policies, and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive, significant, and controversial issues.
- Select, train, motivate, counsel, and evaluate Accounting Department personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to develop skills and abilities.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate the Accounting Department’s work plan; meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems; assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; review and evaluate work methods and procedures.
- Manage the administration of the Accounting Department budget and assist in the development of District budgets; direct the forecast of additional funds and cash needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approve expenditures; direct the preparation of and implement budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Provide assistance in preparing mandated reports including attendance and ADA 320 reports to the State, MIS, and IPEDS.
- Coordinate Accounting Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
- Provide staff assistance to the Vice President of Finance and Business; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Conduct a variety of organizational studies, investigations, and operational studies; recommend modifications to Accounting programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
- Plan, organize, and direct fiscal record keeping to ensure financial control and successful audits.
- Develop procedures for computerized processing of accounting functions.
- Monitor the General Fund, Associated Student Body Fund, the Auxiliary Services Organization Fund and other special funds and accounts; advise such organizations and other departments of the status of the funds.
- Ensure compliance for expenditures as they relate to legislative and District Board policies and procedures.
- Monitor Federal, State, local, and other special programs and grants fund and coordinate reporting of such funds with appropriate departments to ensure accurate reporting.
- Supervise the processing of travel and conference requests and claims; pay invoices in a timely manner; coordinate with the Purchasing Office.
- Monitor debt collection.
- Direct the annual inventory of furniture and equipment; maintain inventory records.
- Maintain communications within the College, with other colleges and universities, the community, and public agencies.
- Develop, apply, and evaluate effective approaches to implement the policies of the Rio Hondo Community College District relating to program and workforce diversity in order to fulfill the core academic mission of the District and serve its diverse community.
- Provide effective leadership and direction to recruitment and retention efforts to further workforce diversity policies of the District.
- Participate on a variety of boards and commissions; attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of accounting.
- Promote equal opportunity and student and gender equity to effectively serve the District’s diverse community.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints.
- Administer applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Other Job Related Duties
Job Related and Essential Qualifications
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of a comprehensive Accounting program.
- Organization and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of Accounting programs, policies, and operational needs.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of Accounting program development and administration.
- Principles and practices of accounting, financial reporting, auditing, and bond financing.
- Principles and practices of grant administration and reporting.
- Information sources and research techniques in the fields of public administration, financial planning, accounting, annual budget, capital budget, and annual audit preparation and procedures.
- Advanced principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Analytical, technical and auditing skills
- Safe driving principles and practices.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and software.
- Operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction for the Accounting Department.
- Develop, implement, and administer goals, objectives, and procedures for providing effective and efficient Accounting services.
- Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the work of professional, technical, and administrative support personnel; delegate authority and responsibility.
- Select, supervise, motivate, counsel, train, and evaluate staff.
- Identify and respond to Accounting issues, concerns, and needs.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of Accounting goals.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate new Accounting service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Prepare and administer large and complex budgets; allocate limited resources in a cost effective manner.
- Prepare clear and concise administrative, financial and accounting reports.
- Interpret and apply the policies, procedures, laws, codes, and regulations pertaining to District Accounting programs and functions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
- Possession of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification.
- Possession of a Certificated Internal Auditor (CIA) certification is desirable.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver’s license.
The physical abilities involved in the performance of essential duties are:
- Vision to read printed material and computer screens
- Speech and hearing to communicate in person and by telephone
- Mobility and dexterity to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment and computers, including ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, and lift 20 lbs.
- Ability to travel to different sites and locations.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- Please include a cover letter with your application where you describe your leadership experiences in public higher education as it relates to this position (up to 2 pages).
- Complete transcripts of all colleges/university studies, including degree earned (copies will be accepted) NOTE: Transcripts from multiples colleges/universities may need to be scanned as one document, then uploaded.
- PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.