Facility Technician, Electrician
- Durham Technical Community College
- Location: Durham, North Carolina
- Posting Date: 12/01/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Facility Technician, Electrician
Department : Facility Services
FLSA : Non-Exempt
- Have a High School diploma or GED.
- Have a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
- Must be able to read and understand Architectural and Engineering drawings.
- Three years of related experience in one or all the following areas, HVAC, plumbing, general repairs, grounds equipment, and maintenance.
- Minimum of two (2) years of electrical experience, commercial or industrial.
- ork experience with building construction and/or renovation projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge with various electrical equipment.
- Assisting the Senior Electrician with installing, maintaining, and enhancing electrical systems and components, including fuses, lights, and wiring.
- Assisting the Senior Electrician with the inspection, testing, and diagnosis of issues with electrical systems and components.
- Willing to perform work in multiple areas of Facility Services such as preventive maintenance in HVAC, plumbing equipment, carpentry, and general maintenance.
- Working knowledge of electrical theory, and the associated principles, materials, and equipment.
- Ability to take initiative in the job to ensure a continuous, timely, and efficient operation, using good judgment without constant or direct supervision, and being alert for new ideas and improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to operate hand and power tools associated with electrical work and/or general maintenance environment.
- Willing to train and upgrade knowledge in assigned duties.
- Ability to organize work, maintain accurate records, and account for numerous details.
- Being a reliable, responsible, tactful, resourceful, and trustworthy person with a sincere interest and concerned attitude toward the College and a cooperative disposition in working well with other people and having the ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to be punctual in attendance and willing to demonstrate cooperation within a team environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a facility maintenance organization and the college.
The Facilities Technician, with an electrical background, is responsible for general maintenance, electrical, and mechanical tasks while utilizing working knowledge to troubleshoot and repair campus issues in a timely manner. The employee is to perform assigned tasks in a cooperative, safe and competent manner, achieve the objectives of the Facility Services Department, and accomplish all duties as specified in the contract of employment. The Facilities Technician is an Essential Employee of the college.
- Ensuring proper maintenance, and performing repairs and modifications as necessary (within in-house capabilities).
- Performing preventive maintenance as defined by the manufacturer or the Facility Services Department specifications.
- Performing and/or assisting with repairs relating to mechanical, electrical or plumbing systems, and/or other general maintenance as required.
- Showing initiative in the job to ensure a continuous, timely and efficient operation, using good judgment without constant or direct supervision, and being alert for new ideas and improvements.
- Ensuring that the workshop, storerooms, and all rooms associated with the heating and air conditioning equipment are maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
- Being prepared to change and adjust schedule by the season, quarter or semester, and when otherwise necessary to perform tasks deemed appropriate by the Facility Services Director or other appropriate Durham Tech officials.
- Willing and readily cooperative in being pulled off of your regular work assignment as needed to help out in temporary and emergency situations.
- Be respectful of all employees, including your immediate peers.
- Uniforms, as furnished by Durham Tech, will be worn during normal working hours and kept clean and neat in appearance.
- All safety equipment as furnished by Durham Tech will be used as required by OSHA, the Durham Tech Safety Committee, and the Facility Services Department.
- All communication equipment as furnished by Durham Tech will be properly maintained and used in compliance with all FCC regulations and as required by the Facility Services Department.
- Following all work order procedures as directed by your supervisor and required by the Facility Services Department.
- Additional duties shall include other appropriate activities as assigned by the Director of Facility Services, Chief Campus Operations Officer, and/or the President.
Physical Demands: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
1. Ability to climb ladders, bend, stoop, squat, and/or stand for long periods of time;
2. Ability to lift, at times, 50 lbs.; and
3. Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working Hours A minimum of a 40-hour work week as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including occasional evening and weekend hours. Summer schedules may vary to enable four-day or four-and-one-half
Hiring Range : 46,500 to $51,500 annually
Job Type : Full Time Staff
Posting Number : AS483P
Open Date : 11/29/2021
Close Date : 01/03/2022