Student Information Specialist
- Durham Technical Community College
- Location: Durham, North Carolina
Admin-Student Affairs and Services
- Posting Date: 12/01/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Student Information Specialist
Department : Financial Aid and Veterans Services
FLSA : Non-Exempt
- Associate’s Degree in office administration, business administration, or related field.
- Three years relevant experience working in customer service, secretarial or receptionist role, preferably in a higher education setting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interact appropriately with students and co-workers in high-stress situations.
- Ability to serve internal and external stakeholders with a high level of customer service skills, including understanding the value of and initiating appropriate responses to inquiries whether in the office, online, or via telephone.
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with the public, and to use tact and good judgment.
- Ability to work with a diverse student population.
- High level of ability to provide accurate and timely information regarding the status of a student’s award and financial aid status.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the needs and expectations of the community college student, faculty, and staff, as well as, community groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication skills.
- igh-level proficiency utilizing a college student information system (e.g. Colleague or Banner) Windows, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint2010 or more current versions.
This position is responsible for providing a high level of customer service and support to students on all aspects of financial aid and basic student account information. Responsible for the accurate and prompt response to student inquiries and works closely with other College personnel to disseminate financial aid information.
- Assist in the daily operations of the office as necessary including front desk customer service, phones, mailings, data entry and retrieval, and file organization.
- Performs clerical duties to support day-to-day office operations to expedite the financial aid process.
- Crates a welcoming and positive relationship with visitors and ensures the interaction is an efficient and satisfying experience.
- Assists students and the public by providing general and specific information, and explaining basic and complex college policy, procedures, and federal/state rules.
- Interprets policies and procedures as established by the director.
- Assist students in the application process and in completing eligibility requirements.
- Maintain inventory of and use E-procurement system to order needed office supplies and forms.
- Reviews documents submitted by students and parents for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepares and reviews all documents for scanning.
- Opens, sorts, distributes department mail, prepares outgoing mail, and makes copies of correspondence.
- Handles confidential information and provides processing support to office staff.
- Maintains current knowledge by participating in on-going professional development for financial aid functions in Colleague, federal regulations, trends in student aid programs, state laws and procedures, college procedures and other technical support concerns.
- Ensures proper security for Durham Tech’s student educational records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), state law, community college system regulations and college policies and procedures.
- Supports/participates in college’s Continuous Improvement Plan.
- Adheres to all the college’s policies, guidelines and statutory requirement and recommends to senior management adoption of and /or changes to policies, practices, procedures and guidelines.
- Additional duties shall include other appropriate activities as assigned by the director, the vice president and the president.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
- Sufficient visual acuity and manual dexterity to use a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to express or exchange ideas through oral communication and to hear vocal responses within the classroom range.
Infrequent travel between buildings on campus, to other campuses, or locally or out of town to attend conferences
Required Working Hours
A minimum of a 40-hour work week as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including occasional evening and weekend hours. Summer schedules may vary to enable four-day or four-and-one-half
Hiring Range : $35,208
Job Type : Full Time Staff
Posting Number : AS482P
Open Date : 11/30/2021
Close Date : 01/04/2022