Faculty Program Director, Culinary
- Yavapai College
- Location: Sedona, Arizona
Faculty-Vocational & Technical-Culinary Arts
- Posting Date: 05/13/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Faculty Program Director, Culinary
Salary : $73,333.00 - $86,666.00 Annually
Location : Sedona Center, AZ
Job Type : Full Time
Department : Culinary
Job Number : 2022-00102
Full Job Description
Yavapai College is looking for a visionary person with experience in program development and growth to oversee and teach within the Culinary program. The Faculty Program Director will conduct some catering and manage retail operations as well as teach.
This is a full-time, 12-month faculty program director position with a mix of program duties and teaching. The Faculty Program Director, in collaboration with the Dean or Associate Dean, provides the vision and leadership required to realize the mission of the Culinary Arts, Hospitality and the college at large. This position requires a degree in Culinary Arts and ServSafe Manager & Alcohol Certifications. This position includes teaching 30 load hours per year scheduled over the Fall, Spring and Summer in alignment with program needs.
To meet the educational goals of the program and college this position will work with faculty, staff and related personnel and will be the representative for Culinary Arts and the Hospitality Management programs. In addition, the Faculty Program Director will manage budgets, staffing, scheduling and execute College approved purchasing practices; consult with advisory committee to provide appropriate learning experiences and content that prepares students to work in the hospitality industry.; meet faculty expectations of teaching, college service and professional development to achieve program and student success. Depending on the student enrollment in the culinary programs, the nature of this position may change to more community education and/or workforce training.
- Work with the target community and Advisory Committee to develop and meet education needs. Be the face of the program to the college community and the target community (credit and non-credit programming)
- Oversee internship opportunities available for students in the discipline area.
- Working with the supervising Dean, recruit, hire, credential, observe, lead and support adjunct teaching team with courses, syllabi, Canvas, Quality Matters, OER, new adjunct needs, first point of contact for the program needs, help teaching team be successful.
- Coordinate and complete program review.
- Initiate and complete curriculum changes and create new courses to align with the changing academic landscape.
- Attend and represent YC at relevant external meetings.
- Stay current on academic and professional changes in discipline area through professional growth.
- Coordinate relevant student lead clubs.
- Work with supervising dean and scheduler to schedule, monitor, and adjust program course schedule each semester to provide year-round, every 8wk course starts.
- Serve on appropriate Participatory Governance/Faculty Committees
- Work with Café Manager to develop student led cafes at the Verde Valley and Sedona Campuses. This position will work closely with the Café Manager to create menus, support the operational policies, procedures and staffing of both locations that serve as practicum sites. Collaboration on catering services is required.
- On occasion as part of experiential learning for students catering for small college events
- Recruit students into the program by attending open houses, attending area High Schools, creating marketing material like videos/flyers/press releases, advertising through noncredit workshops/kid for college, maintain social media sites, newsletters and group emails, creating innovative ideas like the Earn While You Learn program.
- Serve as a liaison/consultant for workforce development and training needs. Support students in the program with items like orientations, phone calls, emails, notifications of other classes to take, etc.
- Attend college-sponsored functions (i.e., Welcome Back Luncheons, Holiday Luncheons, Forums, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
The successful faculty member recognizes that service to our students is our highest priority, and embraces their role in student success, recruitment, and retention. This includes being open to a variety of delivery methods and course design with the possibility of interactive, online, day, evening, weekend classes and/or teaching at various College locations and/or in the high school/college dual enrollment programs. In addition, faculty should be open to both traditional (16 week) and compressed course design (i.e., 8 week classes). Faculty can expect to participate in innovative forms of assessment and should be willing to utilize OER when possible.
The expectation is that full-time faculty serve as provisional faculty for a period of three years prior to being reviewed for continuing status. The determination of faculty status is, however, ultimately at the discretion of the College President as the Yavapai College District Governing Board’s designee.
Please submit cover letter, resume an unofficial transcripts. Cover letter must include:
- Describe your philosophy of teaching in a community college including the faculty role in student retention
- Share your philosophy of online, hybrid or other approaches to delivering instruction
- Describe experience or willingness you have with using OER material
- Describe experience or willingness teaching in a compressed (8 week) term
- Associates Degree in Culinary Arts; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- ServSafe Manager Certification (within 90 days of hire)
- ServSafe Alcohol Certification (within the first 9 months of hire)
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software; Project Management software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
- Regular attendance is an essential job function as it demonstrates dependability towards the performance of job duties
- Competency in interpersonal communication and relationship skills.
- Knowledgeable in current composition theory and practice
- Experience with instruction for different populations (developmental, multicultural, applied learning)
- Experience with Student Learning Outcomes Assessment
- Education and experience beyond the minimum qualifications with recent leadership experience.
- Professional experience in a Culinary and Hospitality profession.
- Experience with teaching in the community college environment, curricular development, learning assessment, technology use in the classroom, etc.
- Eligible for American Culinary Federation certification as a Culinary Educator
- Community college teaching experience
- Experience with multi-media technology to enhance student learning
- Experience with on-line instruction
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations
- Ability to teach other courses.
- Professional experience in a community college/higher education work environment
- ServSafe Food Manager Certified.
- Ability to become a certified ServSafe Instructor and Registered proctor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and competencies listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regular attendance is an essential job function as it demonstrates dependability towards the performance of job duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.