- Cuesta College
- Location: San Luis Obispo,
- Posting Date: 09/21/2015
- Application Deadline:
Posting Number: 0600516
Position Title: Counseling Part Time Pool
Position Type: Academic (Faculty)
Salary Range Placement on the salary schedule will be based upon education and experience.
Department: Counseling Services
Pay Grade: No Response
Position Summary Under the direction of the Director of Counseling, the department is seeking temporary faculty generalist counselors to serve students in Extended Opportunities, Programs and Services, as well as establishing a pool of counselors for future assignments in the Counseling Division. Assignments may be day, evening, or weekend classes at the San Luis Obispo Campus, the North County Campus, Arroyo Grande High School, Nipomo High School or other sites within San Luis Obispo County. Assignments may be for the summer semester and/or the regular academic year.
Academic (Faculty) candidates complete the Equivalency Process only Required:
-Master's in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical
psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling,
educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling, AND
-Must have completed a minimum of nine (9) semester units of college course work predominately relating to ethnic minorities or persons handicapped by language, social or economic disadvantages, or six (6) semester units or equivalent of a college-level counseling practicum or counseling field work courses in a community college EOPS program, or in a program dealing predominately with ethnic minorities or persons handicapped by language, social, or economic disadvantages. AND
-Two (2) years of occupational experience in work relating to ethnic minorities or persons handicapped by language, social, or economic disadvantages. OR
-The equivalent (candidates making application on the basis of
equivalency must submit all materials requested for an
equivalency judgment, indicated on the Equivalency Process link). OR
- A valid Community College credential in the discipline.
-Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Bilingual preferred;
-Teaching experience in the discipline, community college level preferred;
-Awareness of the philosophy and objectives of California Community Colleges.
Essential Functions Generalist Counselor:
-Provide students with personal counseling that will stimulate them to grow in the understanding of self and others, assisting them to prepare for effective living as productive members of society.
-Assist in the recruitment, orientation, and registration of students, informing them of Cuesta College's educational, vocational, and avocational opportunities.
-Improve one's counseling skills and continually evaluating one's relationship with students, instructors, administrators, and other staff members.
-Establish and maintain a schedule of regular office hours during which time the counselor will be available to students.
-Adhere to the regularly established work week as established by the administration.
-Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with
students, instructors, and staff members.
-Assume the responsibility as an academic staff member for
accomplishing the goals of Cuesta College.
-Be cognizant of the philosophy and objectives of Cuesta College, using them as broad guidelines in counseling and assisting students.
-Compile and submit reports.
-Notify the Director of Counseling promptly in case regularly
assigned duties cannot be performed.
- Provide educational, vocational, and personal counseling to current and potential EOPS/CARE students.
- Assist students in making decisions relative to career choice and educational planning, including appropriate course placement and vocational counseling.
- Provide EOPS orientations, program advisement, and follow-up counseling for new, continuing, and potential EOPS students.
- Participate in program planning and staff development.
- Assist in the implementation of special EOPS activities including Summer Readiness Program, Honors Presentations, cultural field trips, and early outreach activities.
- Participate, as appropriate, in the EOPS outreach program at local high schools and community services agencies.
- Develop effective working relationships with faculty, administration, and staff in instructional and subject areas, and perform liaison activities as required.
- Participate in assessment, placement, and transfer functions for EOPS/CARE students.
- Participate in professional growth activities.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Posting Date: 03-05-2014
Closing Date: 03-27-2014
(Full Time Equivalent) Part Time
Special Instructions to Applicants:
1st Interview Date 04-09-2014
2nd Interview Date
Review Begin Date: 03-28-2014
Interview Process Candidates must be willing to come to Cuesta College for a personal interview at their own expense. If selected for an interview, a teaching demonstration may be required and scheduled on the day of your interview.
Optional Applicant Documents: Optional Equivalency Statement
Required Applicant Documents: Resume
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2